May 11, 2020
FAVORITE GREEN PEA SMASH
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 cups shelled green peas (this is from about 2 pounds of peas in their pods)
¼ cup water, or more as needed
4 to 5 spring onions, trimmed and thinly sliced
½ cup chopped fresh mint leaves
Sea salt and plenty of freshly grated black pepper
Cheese of your choice: You can use burrata or mozzarella, fresh goat’s milk cheese, ricotta or grated hard cheese
- Warm a large skillet set over medium heat on the stovetop.
- Add the olive oil and the butter and cook until the butter starts to melt. Add the peas, and stir to coat them with the oil-butter mixture. Add the water and raise the heat to medium-high. When the liquid gently bubbles and starts to reduce, add the onions.
- Cook for 4 to 5 minutes more, stirring, until the peas soften. Lower the heat back to medium, add the mint leaves and season with salt and pepper.
- Remove from heat and, using a potato masher or back of a large spoon, mash the peas into a coarse mixture. Or, using an immersion blender, puree the peas into a smooth spread.
Now you have several options:
- Spoon the pea smash into individual bowls and top with the cheese of your choice, and serve.
- Spoon the whole thing into a bowl, mix well in a soft (ricotta or fresh goat’s milk) cheese and use as a dip/spread with crackers or crudites.
- Grate a hard cheese into the pea smash, or mix a soft cheese into the smash, then spread the smash on the bottoms of individual dinner plates and top with a piece of cooked salmon fillet or slices of prosciutto.
- Toast thick slices of crusty bread, spread the pea smash atop, crown with cheese of your choice.
(Any of the above options serves 4)