Our Commitment to Nursing Excellence
We strongly believe that all hospitals at Hackensack Meridian Health demonstrate the highest quality of patient care through the advancement of nursing practice. This culture of excellence has been developed over the years stemming from a commitment by leadership to empower nurses to have a voice and make decisions about their clinical work through Shared Decision Making, a guiding principle of the Magnet Recognition Program®.
The values of shared-decision making include: partnership, accountability, and ownership for practice. The advantages of shared decision-making are threefold:
- Empowerment of nurses to use their clinical knowledge and expertise to develop, direct and sustain their own professional practice.
- Allowing nurses to network and develop collaborative partnerships among units, departments, and other disciplines.
- Fostering a dynamic staff-leader partnership that promotes collaboration, shared decision-making and accountability for improving quality of care, safety as we progress into a highly reliable organization.
To ensure our nurses are achieving excellence in nursing practice, Hackensack Meridian Health nurses follow the Magnet® model for nursing excellence. They constantly strive for discovery and innovation, and lead the reformation of health care, the discipline of nursing, and care of the patient, family, and community through Magnet’s five principles:
- Transformational Leadership: Leading others to meet the demands of the future.
- Structural Empowerment: Structures that provide an environment where strong professional practice can flourish.
- Exemplary Professional Practice: The role of nursing as it relates to patients, families, the community, and the interdisciplinary team as well, and the application of evidence-based care.
- New Knowledge, Innovation, & Improvements: Establishing new ways to achieve new heights of quality, efficiency, and effectiveness.
- Empirical Quality Results: The measure of quality outcomes and improvements in practice.
While Magnet is a benchmark for nursing excellence, exceptional patient care isn’t just about nursing – It is the responsibility and pride of every team member at Hackensack Meridian Health to contribute to sustaining and improving the quality of our organization.