Hackensack Meridian Health's COVID Recovery Center
New Jersey’s first center dedicated to assisting COVID-19 patients after their recovery.
New Jersey has been one of the hardest hit states with the second highest number of COVID-19 patients in the nation. Hackensack Meridian Health’s COVID Recovery Center will provide medical support to the hundreds of thousands of recovered COVID-19 patients in New Jersey and the surrounding tri-state area as they continue on their path to health.
Why Choose HMH’s COVID Recovery Center
- Hackensack Meridian Health physicians have treated thousands of COVID patients. We know many continue to face lingering side effects, and we want to help patients get the care they need to make a full recovery.
- We are prepared to provide continued care to the patients experiencing side effects such as lung, heart and behavioral health complications.
- As part of the COVID Recovery Center, Hackensack Meridian Health also offers a specialized COVID Rehabilitation Program at JFK Johnson Rehabilitation Institute.
- If you or a loved one need medical support after recovering from COVID-19, call 833-565-0405 to schedule a physician screening and receive a customized treatment plan.
What To Expect
- Recovered COVID-19 patients who need additional medical care will receive a telescreening by one of Hackensack Meridian Health’s COVID Recovery Center physicians.
- Based on the screening results, the physician will create a customized care plan and connect the patient with specialists if needed.
- Patients who would like treatment at the COVID Rehabilitation Program at JFK Johnson Rehabilitation Institute, can call 833-565-0405 and request to be connected to the program directly.
Conditions We Treat
Our COVID Recovery Center provides coordinated care for long-term complications of COVID-19 infection and treatment, including:
- Difficulty breathing, speaking or swallowing, possibly resulting from heart or lung problems
- Difficulty walking or performing self-care tasks
- Feelings of extreme tiredness and fatigue
- Weakness in the arms or legs
- Cognitive changes, such as problems with thinking, concentration and memory
- Mental health concerns, such as anxiety, depression or post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
Some health insurance plans may cover the HMH’s COVID Recovery Center, but individuals should check with their health insurance provider to find out if participation is covered. Some health insurance plans may require a referral from a health care provider.
COVID Recovery Center Rehabilitation Program
As part of the COVID Recovery Center, the COVID Rehabilitation Program at JFK Johnson Rehabilitation Institute offers an outpatient program that istailored specifically to the needs of individuals who contracted COVID-19 and are no longer infected, but are experiencing ongoing post-COVID symptoms and side effects of COVID-19 treatment. Most patients participate for 3-6 months, but treatment may continue for a longer period of time depending on each patient’s needs.
How to Access the COVID Rehabilitation Program
Individuals can access the Post-COVID Rehabilitation Program in two ways:
- From the hospital. Individuals who have been hospitalized due to COVID-19 can be transferred from the inpatient unit to the outpatient Post-COVID Rehabilitation Program.
- From the community. Individuals who received a positive test for COVID-19, are no longer positive and are still experiencing symptoms or complications after infection are also eligible to participate in the outpatient program. Individuals may participate in the program with or without a history of hospitalization due to COVID-19.
Our Rehabilitation Team
Post-COVID Rehabilitation Program team members include:
- Sara Cuccurullo, M.D., Clinical Professor and Chairman, Residency Program Director, Rutgers-Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, Hackensack Meridian School of Medicine, and Medical Director and Vice President, JFK Johnson Rehabilitation Institute
- Talya Fleming, M.D., Medical Director of the Aftercare Program and Stroke Recovery Program, JFK Johnson Rehabilitation Institute
- Leslie Bagay, M.D., Director of Cancer Rehabilitation, Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Specialist, and Assistant PM&R Residency Program Director, JFK Johnson Rehabilitation Institute
- Ofure Luke, M.D., Director of Consult Service-St. Peter’s University Hospital, Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Specialist, JFK Johnson Rehabilitation Institute