Recipe: Pink Angelic Eggs
April 15, 2022
Mix things up this Easter. Instead of the traditional method of dying hard boiled eggs, try this alternative using beets to achieve a hot pink colored egg white and deviled egg chick!
This healthier deviled egg recipe substitutes high fat mayonnaise for Greek yogurt. These eggs will be a cute and tasty treat for your Easter brunch.
6 beet-pickled, hard-boiled eggs (see method below)
½ cup plain, nonfat Greek yogurt
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon prepared Dijon mustard
1⁄8 teaspoon salt (optional)
2 green onions, thinly sliced
24 capers (for the eyes)
1 small carrot, peeled, sliced and cut into triangles (for the nose)
Level of difficulty: Easy
Steps to Make Beet-Pickled, Hard-Boiled Eggs
- Cook 6 eggs to a hard-boiled consistency.
- In a pot, boil 3 cups water, 1 cup distilled white vinegar, ½ cup sugar, 1 teaspoon kosher salt and 1 large red beet, peeled and diced. Remove from heat and cool.
- Peel eggs and place in cooled beet-pickling brine.
- Chill eggs in brine for at least 4 hours. The longer the eggs sit in the brine, the more color will develop on the egg whites. (Pro tip: Let them sit for 12 hours in the refrigerator.)
- Cut eggs in half. Remove yolks and place in a small bowl.
- Add yogurt, onion powder, Dijon mustard and salt, if desired, to the bowl. Stir to combine.
- Spoon or pipe the mixture into egg halves.
- For the chicks, use two capers for the eyes and a cut triangular carrot for the nose. For other non-chick eggs, garnish with a sprinkle of sliced green onions.
Next Steps & Resources:
- Recipe developed by Melissa Hehmann, MS, RDN, CDE
- Photos by Pam Stofberg, RDN at John Theurer Cancer Center
The material provided through HealthU is intended to be used as general information only and should not replace the advice of your physician. Always consult your physician for individual care.
Recipe: Shamrock Shake
It's that time of year where everything turns green to celebrate St. Patrick's Day! You don't need to give up eating healthy to get in on the fun - try out this healthy version of a Shamrock Shake to get you in the festive mood!
Recipe: Carrot Miso Ginger Dressing
A homemade stand-in for the classic dressing served at many Japanese sushi restaurants, carrot miso ginger dressing is the perfect burst of summer freshness we all crave as warmer weather approaches.
Recipe: Whole Grain Jalapeño Cheddar Cornbread
Delicious on the side of some white bean and chicken chili, or as a standalone snack, this whole grain jalapeño cheddar cornbread will satisfy your craving for something sweet or savory at the same time.