Recipe: Lemon-Poppy Seed Zucchini Bread
April 27, 2022
A fresh, flavorful and zesty remake of a classic recipe, this lemon-poppy seed zucchini bread is a tasty treat for a warm spring day.
With the addition of lemon and poppy seeds, this bread offers a refreshing taste with a bit of crunch. Pair it with a glass of iced tea for a delicious afternoon snack.
1 ¾ cups all purpose flour
1 Tbsp. poppy seeds
½ tsp. baking powder
¼ tsp. baking soda
½ tsp salt
½ cup granulated sugar + 2 Tbsp
¼ cup olive oil
½ cup lemon whole fat greek yogurt
3 Tbsp. lemon zest
2 cups grated or shredded zucchini
2 Tbsp. lemon juice
Prep Time: 20 min
Total Time: 1 hr 20 min
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease a 9x5 inch loaf pan.
- Shred or grate zucchini; put the grated zucchini in a sieve over a bowl, use a cheese cloth or paper towels to press some of the excess liquid out of the zucchini. Press zucchini until slightly damp.
- In a medium bowl stir together flour, poppy seeds, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a large bowl, beat ½ cup of sugar and oil with an electric mixer. Add lemon yogurt and lemon zest;beat until smooth. Beat in eggs, one at a time, until combined. Stir in zucchini.
- Add flour mixture to zucchini mixture. Fold until just combined.
- Pour batter into a greased loaf pan. If desired, sprinkle additional poppy seeds on top.
- Bake for 60-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool in pan for 15 minutes.
- While the loaf is cooling, in a small microwave safe bowl, combine lemon juice and remaining 2 Tbsp of sugar. Microwave on high for 30 seconds. Stir until sugar dissolves. Brush loaf with lemon syrup. Allow the loaf to cool completely. Wrap and store overnight before slicing.
Next Steps & Resources:
- Recipe shared by the oncology dieticians at John Theurer Cancer Center
The material provided through HealthU is intended to be used as general information only and should not replace the advice of your physician. Always consult your physician for individual care.
What A Dietician Says Are the Best Diets to Try in 2022
You may be thinking about changing your eating habits to lose weight, feel more energetic, lower your blood-pressure levels or achieve a healthier lifestyle.
Recipe: Pink Angelic Eggs
Mix things up this Easter. Instead of the traditional method of dying hard boiled eggs, try this alternative using beets to achieve a hot pink colored egg white and deviled egg chick!
Worst Foods to Eat for Your Health
If you haven’t thought about whether or not the foods that you consume are truly nourishing you, take time to examine your eating habits to ensure that you’re meeting your nutritional goals.