Variant Surveillance and ‘Breakthrough’ Cases
April 27, 2021
Dr. David Perlin and the team at the Hackensack Meridian Center for Discovery and Innovation (CDI) developed a high-throughput test for variants of the SARS-CoV-2 virus, which gives a picture of what’s going on with evolution of the COVID-19 pandemic.
The CDI scientists are using it and other analytical tools to track cases where patients who were vaccinated also became sick.
Media outlets in the region have sought CDI expertise due to these developments. Below is a roundup of the latest stories and broadcasts.
- NBC New York – “Exclusive Look into a New Rapid Test to Detect COVID variants”
- ROI- NJ – “Hackensack’s CDI creates rapid test (2.5 hours) for detecting COVID-19 variants”
- NJ Spotlight News – “Hackensack Meridian Health develops test to track and diagnose coronavirus variants”
- Bergen Record – “Searching for COVID-19 Variants: Will new Hackensack Meridian Test help NJ Fight Spread?”
- Genomeweb – “Labs Craft SARS-CoV-2 Variant Genotyping Assays for Screening, Surveillance”
- MedPage Today – “‘Breakthrough’ COVID Infection Rates as Expected”
- Univision – “Científicos en Nueva Jersey desarrollan una nueva prueba que detecta las variantes del coronavirus”
- CBS New York – “Health Experts Worry COVID Vaccine Enthusiasm is Falling, Many are Ditching Masks Too Soon
- Bergen Record – “NJ Sees a Few Rare ‘Breakthrough’ COVID cases in those full vaccinated against the virus