Adult Psychiatry and Behavioral HealthHackensack Meridian Health is the leader in psychiatry and specialized behavioral health care for adults in New Jersey. Our dedicated psychiatrists and clinicians treat:
- Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD/ADHD)
- Adjustment Disorder
- Anger Management
- Bipolar Disorder
- Cognitive Disorder
- Depression Dementia
- Dual Diagnoses - Mental Health and Substance Use Disorders
- Family and Marital Issues
- Mood Disorder
- Manic Depressive Disorder
- Personality Disorders
- Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
- Danger to self or others
Essex CountyMountainside Medical Center
Hudson CountyPalisades Medical Center
Middlesex CountyOld Bridge Medical Center
Raritan Bay Medical Center
Monmouth CountyJersey Shore University Medical Center
Riverview Medical Center
Ocean CountyOcean University Medical Center
Southern Ocean Medical Center
Our Care Includes:
Hackensack Meridian Carrier Clinic is the leader in specialized behavioral health care in New Jersey. Carrier Clinic’s 296 bed facility and campus includes Blake Recovery Center, a nationally recognized inpatient addiction treatment center; East Mountain Lodge, an adolescent and teen residential treatment program for ages 13-18 with psychiatric and/or emotional difficulties; and East Mountain School, a special education school for adolescents challenged by behavioral or psychiatric disorders and/or trauma.
- Comprehensive psychiatric evaluations: A team of experts will conduct a personalized psychiatric assessment to determine a diagnosis and develop a treatment plan to help you meet your short and long-term goals.
- Counseling: Individual, group, couples and family sessions for patients who can benefit from short-term, solution-oriented psychotherapy to medication management.
- Intensive Outpatient Program/Partial Hospitalization Programs: These programs provide transitional care as a bridge between inpatient care and traditional outpatient services. Available multiple days a week for patients needing help managing their psychiatric illness but is not at the crisis level requiring inpatient hospitalization.
- Medication management: Includes evaluation and management of medications to treat conditions such as anxiety, depression, Bipolar or personality disorders, ADHD and others.
- Integrative Health & Medicine: These therapies focus on health and wellness of both body and mind. Offerings such as yoga, stress management, group therapy, nutritional counseling, and exercise opportunities are included in our plans of care.
- Deep Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (dTMS): A safe, non-invasive way to treat depression for patients who have tried multiple ways to treat major depression and have had no improvement. It uses magnetic fields to stimulate nerve cells in the brain to improve symptoms of depression. During the twenty minute session, an electromagnetic coil helmet is placed on the head. A painless magnetic pulse stimulates nerve cells in the area of the brain that controls mood and depression. To learn more call 732-643-4407.
- Electroconvulsive Therapy: A safe and effective treatment option for those suffering from severe clinical depression. It can be used to treat severe mental illness such as major depression, bipolar disorder, catatonia, high suicide risk and certain neurologic disorders such as Parkinson’s disease, when all other treatments have failed. The ECT procedure involves brief, controlled electric currents being passed through the brain, triggering a brief seizure. This causes changes in brain chemistry that can rapidly reverse symptoms of certain mental illnesses. To learn more call 732-643-4407.
In some cases, mental illness may require hospitalization. Our Inpatient Psychiatric units provide acute comprehensive hospital treatment for patients who are unable to remain at home or in the community. We offer:
- Dedicated, inpatient units for adults with acute psychiatric needs.
- Thorough evaluation, diagnosis and individualized treatment for all major behavioral health conditions, including geriatric patients with dementia and those suffering from severe depression, anxiety and other disorders.
- Individual, group and recreational therapies.
- Psychiatrists available around-the-clock to assist patients in the hospital’s medical/ surgical units who may have underlying or emerging mental health conditions.
Crisis Stabilization Units
At many of our hospitals, experienced crisis counselors and trained psychiatric nurses are available 24 hours a day for psychiatric emergencies and onsite evaluation of both adults and children. Through consultation with on-call psychiatrists, we can make immediate treatment recommendations to resolve the crisis situation and refer to an appropriate level of care.
Our units offer:
- Face-to-face evaluation
- Crisis intervention
- Evaluation and assessment
- Psychiatric disposition and referral
Emergency Department Psychiatric Crisis Evaluations are available at:
To connect individuals to care long before a moment of crisis, we developed a new model bringing behavioral health services into the convenient urgent care office setting.
Our Urgent Care with Behavioral Health offers same-day treatment for depression, anxiety and mood disorders. There are two easy ways to get treatment; Walk-in to our Neptune location or call the number below to request a same-day telemedicine visit. Upon calling, our team members will schedule your telemedicine appointment and share all of the information necessary to access and start a video visit.Hackensack Meridian Urgent Care with Behavioral Health – Neptune City
2040 Route 33
Weekdays: 8 a.m. – 8 p.m.
Weekends: 8 a.m. – 4 p.m.
Our experienced team includes skilled professionals and distinguished psychiatrists who’ve been recognized as “Top Docs” in New Jersey.