Centers for Sleep Medicine
Our board-certified sleep medicine physicians have the highest levels of training to diagnose and treat your sleep disorder.
An overnight sleep test is one of the first steps we take to understand and diagnose your sleep problems. Often, these sleep tests can take place at your own home with a disposable unit that is shipped to your doorstep and can be thrown away after use.
When an overnight stay is necessary, we offer hotel-like accommodations with free wireless internet and cable, in a clean and comfortable environment.
We Treat these Sleep Disorders and Conditions
- Snoring and sleep apnea (obstructive, central and mixed): Difficulty breathing while asleep, pauses of breathing in sleep, choking, gasping and snoring.
- Insomnia: Trouble falling asleep, staying asleep, early morning awakenings, nonrestorative sleep and daytime impairment of function.
- Restless Legs Syndrome (RLS): A restless, crawling feeling of discomfort in the legs at bedtime, and an urge to move the legs and at times jerking the legs involuntarily while sleeping.
- Narcolepsy: Difficulty staying awake during the day; sudden weakness of muscles while laughing or emotionally charged, or muscle paralysis while falling asleep.
- Sleep terrors/night terrors: Episodes of intense fear, screaming, kicking, panic and thrashing while still asleep.
- Parasomnias: Sleepwalking, night terrors, sleep talking, severe nightmares or aggressive behavior during dreaming (REM sleep).
- Pediatric Sleep Disorders: We evaluate, diagnose and treat a range of pediatric sleep conditions, including insomnia, narcolepsy, night terrors and Restless Legs Syndrome.
- Periodic Limb Movement Disorder (PLMD): Repetitive cramping or jerking of the legs that interfere with sleep.
- Shift work sleep disorders: Inability to establish sleep pattern because of change in work shifts affecting the bedtime.
- Pediatric sleep disturbances
- CPAP mask discomfort and tolerability issues
Our Sleep Center Services
Pediatric Sleep Services
The Hackensack Meridian Health Pediatric Center for Sleep Medicine at K. Hovnanian Children’s Hospital launched the first pediatric sleep program in the region and is backed by research and dedication from our physicians and nurses.
With multiple locations across New Jersey, our centers are staffed by board-certified experts in pediatric sleep medicine who can evaluate, diagnose and treat your child’s sleep problems.Learn More About Our Pediatric Sleep Services
Pregnancy Sleep Services
Diagnosis and treatment can provide relief for pregnant women and improve their overall health.
Preoperative Sleep Apnea Evaluation
Sleep testing observes breathing patterns and checks for possible airway-related problems that may affect surgery and recovery outcomes.
Treatment Options for Diagnosed Sleep Disturbances
Your team of sleep specialists will analyze the results of your sleep study and develop a treatment plan based on your unique needs. Treatment may include:
- Continuous Positive Airway Pressure (CPAP): CPAP is the most common treatment for sleep apnea, which provides a continuous stream of air pressure to keep your airway open during sleep.
- Inspire Upper Airway Stimulation: We were the first health system in New Jersey to use the Inspire Upper Airway Stimulation technology, a CPAP-free treatment for obstructive sleep apnea.
- Custom Oral Devices: A sleep dentist can evaluate you for a custom device to treat mild obstructive sleep apnea.
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy: We can refer you to a collaborating licensed psychologist who specializes in cognitive behavioral therapy to treat insomnia.
- Weight-Loss Programs: If necessary, we can refer you to a medical program for weight loss or to a collaborating dietician or surgical program for weight loss.
Additional treatments for sleep disorders may include behavior and lifestyle modifications, light therapy, medication or surgery.
Why Choose Hackensack Meridian Health Sleep Medicine
The Pediatric Center for Sleep Medicine, a service of Hackensack Meridian Health Neuroscience Institute, is the first in the region to offer first-class sleep diagnostics and treatment to even the smallest patients.
Our sleep labs are among some of the only sleep centers in the state with national accreditation by the American Academy of Sleep Medicine, with Jersey Shore University Medical Center being an American Academy of Sleep Medicine Certified Sleep Center.
We were the first health system in New Jersey to offer Upper Airway Stimulation (UAS), an innovative alternative to CPAP that treats obstructive sleep apnea without the need for masks or hoses.
"After learning I had severe sleep apnea and getting treated for it, I feel amazing. I’ve lost 54 pounds, have tons of energy, and the more energy I have, the more I want to exercise at the gym, go for walks and play sports. It’s like a brand-new life!"- Carlos Maitin
“People with untreated sleep disorders tend to go to the doctor more, get sick more, don't do as well at work and have social problems and relationship problems. We can help you get a good night’s sleep so you can get back to living the life you love.” — Adrian Pristas, M.D., Corporate Medical Sleep Director, Hackensack Meridian Health