Pediatric Neuro-OncologyThe Pediatric Neuro-Oncology Program at Hackensack University Medical Center’s Joseph M. Sanzari Children’s Hospital is committed to caring for children with brain and spinal cord tumors.
Our program — which is built around research, “outside-the-box” thinking and a willingness to go the extra mile — has led to successful outcomes in patients who were previously told that no treatment options existed.
Patients and their families have traveled from Europe and South America to access innovative brain and spinal cord tumor clinical trials available through our Center for Discovery and Innovation. Our research has led to new developments in treatment for embryonal tumor with multilayer rosettes (ETMR) and other tumors of the brain and spinal cord, including:
- Atypical teratoid rhabdoid tumor
- CNS germ cell tumors
- Glioblastoma multiforme
- Low-grade glioma
About ETMR One
ETMR is one of the most difficult types of tumors for physicians to successfully treat, due in large part to its rarity, aggression, and the lack of a standard treatment protocol. In order to improve outcomes and radically transform care for children with newly diagnosed or relapsed ETMR, Dr. Derek Hanson – head of our pediatric neuro-oncology program – created ETMR One.
ETMR One is an international registry and research program that allows physicians and researchers from around the world to collaborate and advance ETMR treatment. ETMR One is already seeing results, with the emergence of a new ETMR consensus treatment protocol designed to meet each child’s unique needs, leading to successful patient outcomes.
To learn more about how your child could benefit from participating in ETMR One, see our project overview. Additional information is available for researchers or physicians interested in participating in the program.
Pediatric Neuro-Oncology Clinical Trials
Our program offers patients access to a number of clinical trials that are not available anywhere else for children with high-grade glioma, low-grade glioma, and ependymoma, including:
- Phase I Trial of the Optune NovoTTF-200A System with Concomitant Temozolomide And Bevacizumab in Pediatric Patients with High-Grade Glioma and Ependymoma
- Phase I Study of Mebendazole for the Treatment of Pediatric Gliomas
- Phase I Study of 2-Hydroxyoleic Acid in Pediatric Patients with Malignant Glioma and Other Advanced Solid Tumors
- Phase II Trial of Eflornithine/DFMO as Maintenance Therapy for Molecular High Risk/Very High Risk and Relapsed/Refractory Medulloblastoma
- Phase II Trial of Eflornithine (DFMO) and Etoposide for Relapsed/Refractory Neuroblastoma
Our Pediatric Neurology Oncology Physicians
Led by pediatric neuro-oncologist Dr. Derek Hanson, our multidisciplinary team is made up of highly trained and world-renowned experts in various fields of pediatric medicine, including neurosurgeons, neurologists, radiation oncologists, neuroradiologists, neuropathologists, and neuropsychologists.