Essential Tremor, Parkinson's and Movement DisordersOur team includes neurologists, pediatric neurologists, neurosurgeons, nurses, nurse practitioners, counseling psychologists, physical therapists, occupational therapists, speech and swallowing therapists, registered dieticians, urologists, sleep specialists, neuropsychologists, cognitive remediation specialists, rehabilitation specialists and more, in convenient locations across New Jersey.
Conditions We Treat
Progressive supranuclear palsy
Restless legs syndrome
Focused Ultrasound for Essential Tremor
Neurosurgeons at Hackensack University Medical Center (HUMC) continue to pioneer new advances for treating Parkinson’s Disease and movement disorders and HUMC is the only medical center in New Jersey using Focused Ultrasound (FUS), also known as high-intensity focused ultrasound (HIFU). FUS is a minimally invasive alternative to deep brain stimulation for patients with essential tremor and Parkinson’s disease tremor that has not responded to medications.
Focused ultrasound uses acoustic energy, or sound waves, to treat brain tissue that is the source of the tremor. The outpatient procedure, which typically takes two hours, doesn’t require surgical incisions or anesthesia and many patients experience immediate and significant reduction in hand tremors, which can make activities of daily living challenging. Patients can return home the same day. For more information or to schedule an appointment email FUS@hmhn.org.
How We Diagnose Parkinson’s Disease and Movement DisordersTo diagnose your condition, we will review your symptoms and health history, conduct a physical exam and may perform additional tests, including:
- Blood or urine samples.Your health care provider may ask you to provide blood or urine samples to check for markers of neurological disorders and rule out other conditions.
- Electromyography (EMG). EMG measures the electrical impulses along your nerves and muscles to test how well your nerves and muscles work together.
- Imaging tests. Your health care provider may order imaging tests, such as magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) or computed tomography (CT), to help uncover neurological abnormalities and diagnose your movement disorder.
- Movement neurophysiological exam. We use a series of tests involving different types of stimulation — including visual, audible and electrical stimulation — to detect neurological abnormalities.
- Neuropsychological exam. This exam assesses cognitive skills, such as attention, executive functioning, memory, language and visuospatial processing.
Rehabilitation for Movement Disorders in New JerseyOur specialists are leaders in movement disorder rehabilitation and follow the latest, evidence-based guidelines. Our movement disorder rehabilitation team includes:
- Board-certified physical medicine and rehabilitation physicians
- Movement disorder neurologists
- Certified rehabilitation registered nurses (CRRN)
- Movement disorder therapists
Clinical Trials and Research for Parkinson’s Disease and Movement DisordersOur neurology and neurosurgery experts provide you with access to the latest clinical trials for Parkinson’s disease and movement disorders before they become widely available. Learn more about our Movement Disorder clinical trials available in New Jersey.
Why Choose Hackensack Meridian Health for Movement Disorder Care
Jersey Shore University Medical Center has earned the Healthgrades Neurosciences Excellence Award in 2020, 2021 and 2022.
Hackensack University Medical Center is recognized for excellence in Parkinson’s Disease care and treatment by The Joint Commission, a national health care accreditation organization.
Hackensack Meridian Health is the only health network in New Jersey to offer Focused Ultrasound, a minimally invasive treatment for patients with essential tremor and Parkinson’s disease tremor that has not responded to medications.
Our neurological experts are equipped to care for the most intricate cases; from our fellowship-trained and board-certified physicians who hold the highest level of training and accreditation possible in their specialty, to our highly skilled nurses, we provide you with the best care and treatment options available, right here in your community.
Find a Parkinson’s Disease and Movement Disorders Care Location
Neurological and Neurosurgical Services
- Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis ALS
- Brain and Spine Tumor Treatments
- Brain Trauma and Concussions
- Center for Sleep Medicine
- Cranial Base Surgery
- Diagnostic Services
- Epilepsy and Seizure Disorders
- Headache and Migraine Treatments
- Hereditary Neuropathies
- Memory Loss and Brain Health
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Neurological Rehabilitation
- Paralysis and Reconstructive Nerve Surgery
- Essential Tremor, Parkinson's & Movement Disorders
- Spine Care
- Stroke Care
- Vascular and Endovascular Neurosurgery