Comprehensive Heart Care Program at Jersey Shore University Medical Center Earns STS 3-Star Quality Recognition
Center hones quality as it performs more diagnostic and interventional procedures than any other in region
Jersey Shore University Medical Center performs more diagnostic and lifesaving interventional cardiac procedures than any other hospital in the region. In 2019, the medical center performed 968 cardiac surgery procedures and met high-quality marks along the way.
Jersey Shore University Medical Center leads the state volumes in several high-impact procedures, including in EP Lead Extractions, with 38 extractions in 2019 and 48 procedures completed as of September 2020. The TAVR program at Jersey Shore has the third largest volume in the state of New Jersey, with 258 cases in 2019.
The center also claims New Jersey’s second highest volume for installation of the WATCHMAN™ Left Atrial Appendage Closure (LAAC) Device, with 120 procedures in 2019. It ranks second in New Jersey for cardiac catheterization/PCI and LVAD implant volumes.
For Jersey Shore University Medical Center, this depth of experience in specialized procedures translates to better care for patients, as evidenced by a number of quality awards.
The Society of Thoracic Surgeons (STS) has developed a comprehensive rating system for the quality of Mitral Valve Replacement or Repair among hospitals across the country. Approximately 12 to 15% of hospitals received the “3 star” rating, which denotes the highest category of quality. In 2019, the performance of Jersey Shore University Medical Center was found to lie in this highest quality tier, thereby receiving STS 3-star rating.
Jersey Shore University Medical Center’s recent quality recognition also includes:
- Healthgrades five-star recipient for coronary bypass surgery for 19 years in a row
- HF accreditations and continued GOLD PLUS Performance for the National Get with the Guidelines initiative
- American Heart Association 2017/2018/2019/2020 “Gold Plus” Quality Achievement Award for Heart Failure
- American College of Cardiology Platinum Award for MI Action Registry 2017/2018/2019
- American College of Cardiology Bronze for 2020 MI Registry
- Magnet Nursing
- Aetna Center of Distinction for Cardiac Surgery, EP and PCI
- USNWR High Performing recognition for Heart Surgery (CABG), Valve Surgery (AVR) and Heart Failure
- American College of Cardiology (ACC) 2020 Cardiac Catheterization Program with PCI Accreditation (2020-2023), Chest Pain Center with PCI and Resuscitation Accreditation (2019-2022) and Heart Failure Accreditation (2018-2021)
- AACVPR Cardiac and Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program Accreditation