April 25, 2019
Hackensack Meridian Health is pleased to announce it received a System for Change Award from Practice Greenhealth. The network was selected as an Environmental Excellence Award winner for its commitment to improving environmental performance and achieving a top standard of excellence in sustainability.
“I want to congratulate our team members for the vision, innovation, and initiative they have demonstrated through their environmental leadership and stewardship,” said Robert C. Garrett, CEO of Hackensack Meridian Health. “As health care providers, we share an essential responsibility to care for our communities and each other in this regard.”
Hackensack University Medical Center, the network’s flagship hospital, has achieved national recognition as a Practice Greenhealth Top 25 Green Hospital for the sixth consecutive year, and as a Circle of Excellence facility, among the top 10 in the United States, in categories including Leadership, Environmentally Preferable Purchasing, Safer Chemicals, and Energy.
Across Hackensack Meridian Health, affiliated hospitals were recognized in the following ways:
- Bayshore Medical Center, Emerald Award and Center Circles of Excellence for Environmentally Preferable Purchasing
- Jersey Shore Universal Medical Center, Emerald Award and Circles of Excellence for Environmentally Preferable Purchasing
- Ocean Medical Center, Emerald Award and Center Circles of Excellence for Environmentally Preferable Purchasing
- Riverview Medical Center, Emerald Award, Making Medicine Mercury Free, and Circles of Excellence for Environmentally Preferable Purchasing
- Raritan Bay Perth Amboy, Partner of Change
- Raritan Bay Old Bridge Partner of Change
- Southern Ocean Medical Center, Emerald Award
“These recognitions are a direct result of the many ways we embrace the connection between human health and a healthy environment,” said Deirdre Imus, founder and president of The Deirdre Imus Environmental Health Center®. “In order to truly care for the health and well-being of our children we must have the same care for our environment.”
This year, network-affiliated hospitals received dozens of Practice Greenhealth recognitions due to a shared vision to raise the bar on environmental leadership and sustainability initiatives. The level of achievement grows as the network-wide commitment deepens.
“We are expanding partnerships through activities in the communities we serve, including recent beach cleanups and riverkeeper events — and we’re placing an even greater focus on reducing our energy footprint, network-wide,” said Kyle Tafuri, director of Sustainability at Hackensack Meridian Health.
Mr. Tafuri cites among the network’s most impactful initiatives: “Raritan Bay’s Learning Garden teaches patients about nutrition and the importance of local food sources. I want to commend Raritan Bay’s Integrative Medicine Team for championing this exceptional initiative.”