Home-Based Palliative Care Services
Comprehensive At-Home Care
At Hackensack Meridian Health, we are dedicated to delivering the highest quality coordinated medical care. Hackensack Meridian Health Care Journey is a home-based palliative care program. Our team works closely with your primary physician to provide you and your family with an extra layer of support. Through home visits and phone calls, we help to coordinate comprehensive and personalized care that you receive along with your regular ongoing course of treatment.
Partnering with You for Improved Quality of Life
Hackensack Meridian Health Care Journey focuses on improving the quality of life of people facing illnesses such as heart disease, lung disease, kidney or liver disease, cancer or neurological conditions like stroke and dementia. Along with the treatment of your illness, emphasis is placed on pain and symptom management, improved communication and coordination of your care. This program will also help you to share your values, preferences, and expectations for care with your physician — a very important component of ensuring your quality of life.
Our team is comprised of physicians, nurses, social workers and many others who will work together with your physician to deliver care individualized to your needs. Together we will provide:
- Improved communication including personal calls and conferences to discuss your health with your primary doctor and your loved ones
- Education specific to your medications and illnesses to help you take better care of yourself. This may include videos, literature and mailings which you can share with your family
- Comprehensive care including expert management of symptoms such as pain, nausea, and shortness of breath; evaluation to ensure you have all of the appropriate equipment you need to make getting around as easy and safe as possible; ongoing assessments of your physical, psychosocial and spiritual well-being; and emotional support for you and your family
- Coordination of care to ensure that your health care needs are met. This includes partnering with you, your physicians and your family to help you navigate the often complex healthcare system
- Social work services to assist you with insurance needs, financial guidance, transportation, or when you just need someone to listen
- Advance care planning to help you make informed decisions about the kind of treatment you want … and don’t want – as your illness progresses.