Sidewinder Summertime Coleslaw
Makes 8 servings
Recipe by Deirdre Imus, The Imus Ranch: Cooking for Kids and Cowboys
This particular dish is named after one of the trails on the mesa. The kids love the vivid purple color that red cabbage lends to it, but you can use all green cabbage if you prefer. Either way, you’re sure to enjoy wonderful results.
Preparation time: 12 minutes
- 3 Cups shredded red cabbage (1/2 small)
- 3 Cups shredded green cabbage (1/2 small)
- 1 Medium red apple cored and diced
- 1/2 Cup raisins
- 1/4 Cup shredded carrots
- 1/4 Cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 Cup vegan or regular mayonnaise
- 2 Tablespoons raw unrefined sugar
- 1 Teaspoon salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Combine the red and green cabbages, the apple, raisins and carrots in a large mixing bowl, toss gently with the lemon juice. Fold in mayonnaise until cabbage is well coated, sprinkle with the sugar, season with salt and pepper, and toss again.
Chill well before serving.
Printed with permission from The Imus Ranch: Cooking for Kids and Cowboys by Deirdre Imus / Published by Rodale.