Comprehensive, Family-Friendly Heart Care for Our Youngest Patients
Children and young adults with heart disease need special care from a team that specializes in working with young patients and their families — a highly trained, compassionate team that understands the unique needs of children.
At Hackensack Meridian Health, our pediatric cardiologists provide life-changing care for infants, children and young adults in a family- and kid-friendly environment. Our renowned pediatric heart doctors are leaders in cardiovascular care. We use highly sophisticated diagnostic technology and the latest treatments for children with a variety of heart conditions, including:
- Arrhythmias – Heart rhythm irregularities
- Congenital heart disease – Structural defects in the heart’s chambers, valves or surrounding blood vessels that are present at birth
- Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy – An enlarged or thickened lower chamber of the heart that prevents it the heart’s pumping ability
- Infective endocarditis – A bacterial infection that affects the inner lining or valves of the heart
- Rheumatic heart disease – An infection that damages the heart valves
Hackensack Meridian Health pediatric cardiology teams offer a full spectrum of heart services at children’s hospitals located at our leading academic medical centers — from neonatal intensive care and state-of-the-art diagnosis to advanced nonsurgical treatments and minimally invasive surgery.
As an integrated network, we’re at the forefront of cardiovascular research and children’s heart disease management. We offer treatments before they become widely available, so kids get leading-edge care from an experienced team right here in New Jersey.
Specialized Care for Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy
The Gregory M. Hirsch Center for Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy at the Pediatric Center for Heart Disease at Hackensack Meridian Health Joseph M. Sanzari Children’s Hospital is the first facility in the area to screen families for this inherited disease that is often unrecognized and misdiagnosed. Pediatric heart specialists offer comprehensive treatment and support to young patients and their families. Learn more.
Symptoms of Children’s Heart Disease
Common symptoms that could signal a heart problem in toddlers and children include:
- Trouble breathing or sweating earlier than peers during activity
- Blue gums or tongue
- Chest pain
- Dizziness during physical activity
- Inability to physically keep up with their peers
- Irregular Heartbeat
Children may experience some of these symptoms without having heart disease, but it’s important for parents to discuss potential health risks with their pediatrician.
Cutting-Edge Diagnosis for Children’s Heart Disease
We provide comprehensive diagnostic services, including education, support and treatment planning for congenital heart disease that’s discovered during pregnancy. Our pediatric specialists use gentle imaging approaches that don’t expose children to unnecessary radiation.
Our pediatric physicians, cardiac nurses and imaging technologists use non-invasive, painless tests to help diagnose heart problems, including:
- Holter monitor or event recorder – Record the heart’s electrical activity over 24 hours or longer using an external device worn underneath the clothes
- Echocardiography – Creates moving pictures of the heart and surrounding blood vessels using sound waves
- Electrocardiogram (ECG or EKG) – Measures the heartbeat at rest or during exercise (stress test) using electrodes placed on the skin
- Fetal echocardiography – Ultrasound to view a baby’s heart structure while still in the womb
- Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) – Provides high-definition images to view heart function and structure
Trusted Pediatric Surgery Expertise
Whenever possible, our pediatric heart specialists use nonsurgical approaches to treat heart disease, including interventional cardiology treatments — techniques that are virtually pain-free and offer a quick recovery.
If a child needs surgery, parents can rest assured their child is in good hands. Our board-certified pediatric surgeons, trained at the nation’s top programs, have the expertise to perform even the most complex surgeries. Our team includes renowned pediatric leaders in minimally invasive surgery, which offers less pain and scarring and allows kids to feel better faster.
This combination of cutting-edge technology and pediatric heart surgery expertise makes Hackensack Meridian Health pediatric hospitals a trusted choice for families across the region.