MOLLY Diabetes CenterThe MOLLY Diabetes Education and Management Center for Adults and Children provides an unparalleled approach to treating and managing diabetes. You receive a wide range of support services and the most up-to-date treatments to live a healthy and satisfying life.
Your dedicated team at Hackensack University Medical Center includes endocrinologists, advanced practice nurses, registered nurses, registered dietitians, licensed clinical social workers and certified diabetes educators – all of whom bring special training and experience in diabetes.
Diabetes Management Programs
- Diabetes Self-Management Program. Our comprehensive diabetes educational program follows the American Diabetes Association’s standards of care guidelines and has been certified by the ADA for 25 years. The program is designed for patients who have been newly diagnosed with diabetes and covers nutrition, exercise, monitoring, medication management and coping skills. We also provide training on insulin pumps and continuous glucose monitoring.
- Diabetes Wellness Program. Our eight-week program includes supervised exercise, education and support to help you make healthy lifestyle changes and improve quality of life. Our specialized diabetes wellness program navigators adapt the program to meet your unique needs and coordinate care with other health care providers.
- Individualized Diabetes Counseling. A certified diabetes nurse educator and a certified diabetes registered dietitian, working with your endocrinologist, evaluates your diabetes plan and delivers practical ways to better control your diabetes.
- Adolescent Transition Program. Our program helps teenagers and young adults between the ages of 18 and 22 transition from their pediatric endocrinologist to an adult endocrinologist. Patients are encouraged to learn to manage their diabetes without parent guidance with support from a nurse and certified diabetes educator during the transition.
- Gestational Diabetes Program. Designed for expectant mothers with gestational diabetes, the program provides education on monitoring, nutrition, medications and ketone testing. The program also includes personalized meal planning and postpartum follow up.
- Classes and workshops. Our certified diabetes educators work closely with nurses, registered dietitians and other professionals to offer nutrition counseling, cooking and meal prep demonstrations and supermarket shopping tours.
- Psychosocial support. Our licensed clinical social workers can help you and your loved ones address psychosocial concerns associated with diabetes, including the emotional adjustment to chronic illness, family and relationship issues, loneliness, depression and stress. We offer individual and group support for adults, children, and parents of children who are enrolled in our diabetes education programs.
- Diabetes caregiver education. Caregiver education is a vital component to good diabetes management. A diabetes caregiver is someone other than the patient or parent who directly cares for a person with diabetes, such as an aide, babysitter, roommate, friend or significant other. Topics include blood glucose monitoring, understanding and administering diabetes medication and/or insulin, identifying and treating low blood sugar (hypoglycemia) or high blood sugar (hyperglycemia), and knowing how and when to activate the Emergency Medical System (911).
- Referral services. Our diabetes care team can refer you for specialty medical care, including ophthalmology, cardiology and more.
Our team can assist with registering for the best diabetes program(s) for you, along with the necessary provider referrals and insurance authorization requirements. Call 551-996-3010
Hospital-based Diabetes Management
Patients of all ages with diabetes hospitalized at Hackensack University Medical Center receive special care and education. Our program earned a fourth-consecutive certification in Advanced Diabetes Management from the Joint Commission for excellence in inpatient diabetes care.
- Expert consultation. A member of our endocrinology team is available 24/7 to provide medical management and coordinate care to address the unique needs of hospitalized patients with diabetes — especially those who have uncontrolled or previously undiagnosed diabetes.
- Standardized care protocols. We follow evidence-based guidelines to identify and provide for the special needs of patients with diabetes who are hospitalized.
- Patient education. Our certified diabetes educators empower hospitalized patients with information on managing their diabetes.
- Discharge and referral assistance. When you leave the hospital, our diabetes team will coordinate ongoing medical management and education with the MOLLY Diabetes Education and Management Center for Adults and Children.