Lap Band Surgery
Lap-Band Surgery for Weight Loss
- Adjustable and completely reversible
- Food is digested and absorbed normally
- Limits the amount of food you can eat
If the rate of weight loss is not where you want it to be, the band can be adjusted or removed.
Is the Lap-Band Right for You?
- BMI between 30-40 with one or more weight-related health conditions such as type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol or sleep apnea
- Body mass index (BMI) higher than 40
- Willingness to make a life-long commitment to new eating habits
Bariatric surgeons at Hackensack Meridian Health are highly experienced in gastric band surgery. We can help you decide if this approach is right for you.
Advantages of Lap-Band Surgery
Faster recovery than other types of weight loss surgery
No cutting or stapling of the stomach
No intestinal re-routing
Adjustable without surgery
Individualized size restriction
Compatible with pregnancy
Completely reversible to restore normal stomach anatomy
No dumping syndrome – symptoms can include vomiting, nausea, weakness, sweating, faintness or diarrhea – when eating too much sugar or large amounts of food
No risk of anemia
Potential Disadvantages of Lap-Band Surgery
- Access port may leak or twist, requiring surgery to correct the problem
- Band may erode into the stomach wall
- Band may slip out of place
- Lack of feeling satisfied that you’ve had enough to eat
- Lower percentage of weight loss than with gastric bypass surgery
Our team of experts create a personalized plan unique to each patient. Our physicians have extensive experience in performing weight loss surgeries and our programs consistently deliver high quality care, outcomes and long term success.
Attend a Virtual Weight Loss Seminar
Join us for a complimentary virtual Weight Loss Surgery Seminar to learn more about your surgical weight loss options and to meet our surgeons and bariatric team.