July 10, 2020
We can anticipate that face masks will continue to be a part of our everyday life as COVID-19 lingers in our communities. Every public place, from a doctor’s office, to the supermarket, to an outdoor dining experience, will require you to wear a mask to prevent the spread of virus.
COVID-19 can be spread through respiratory droplets when an infected person speaks, sings, coughs or sneezes. Once released, the respiratory droplets can travel thought the air about 6 feet and infect someone. Everyone can help prevent the spread of COVID-19 by wearing a mask the right way.
But, many people out there simply don’t have a ton of experience wearing a mask and may be wearing them incorrectly. To help, we’ve put together an easy guide on how to wear a mask correctly.
Just as important as knowing how to wear a mask correctly, everyone should understand some of the common mistakes to avoid. Here are five common mask mistakes we’re seeing:
1. Nose Out
2. Mask Around Chin
3. Ripped, Dirty or Damaged Mask
4. Exposed Chin
5. Not Wearing A Mask
Next Steps & Resources:
- To make an appointment with a doctor near you, call 800-822-8905 or visit our website.
- Should You Wear a Mask Outside?
- How to Properly Wear a Facemask
- Should Kids Wear Masks? Here’s What To Know
- Clinical Contributor: Doreen McSharry, Director of Infection Prevention at Hackensack Meridian Palisades Medical Center
The material provided through HealthU is intended to be used as general information only and should not replace the advice of your physician. Always consult your physician for individual care.