January 27, 2021
1 15-ounce can low-sodium kidney or navy beans, drained and rinsed
1 24-ounce can low-sodium tomatoes, chopped, undrained
2 cups low-sodium vegetable or chicken broth
1 medium onion, chopped
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground cumin
2 cups spinach, chopped
Pepper to taste
147 calories, 9g protein,
29g carbohydrate (10g fiber), 1g fat (0.1g sat, 0.2g mono/poly), 583mg sodium
- Turn on the burner to medium heat. In a large soup pot, stir in beans, tomatoes, vegetable or chicken broth, onion, cinnamon and cumin.
- Heat the ingredients of the soup until boiling. Then reduce heat and let simmer for five to 10 minutes.
- Add spinach into the soup. Season to taste with pepper.
This soup can be a quick lunch, or add shredded chicken or fish for an easy, delicious dinner.
Next Steps & Resources:
- Find more recipes and tips for healthy eating
- Mood-boosting foods
- Wagon wheel pasta recipe
- Bob Garrett’s Bolognese recipe
The material provided through HealthU is intended to be used as general information only and should not replace the advice of your physician. Always consult your physician for individual care.