Family Medicine Residency
Welcome from the Program DirectorWelcome to the JFK Family Medicine Residency.
JFK offers excellent opportunities to learn the full scope of Family Medicine from Obstetrics and care of the newborn to Geriatrics. We also place a strong emphasis on putting the biopsychosocial model into practice with longitudinal experiences in Behavioral Science/Psychiatry/Addiction Medicine, Complementary and Alternative Medicine, and Community Medicine. In our effort to be innovative and train residents for the future, we are an NCQA recognized Patient Centered Medical Home and a certified Centering group visit practice for prenatal and diabetic patients. In conjunction with the Rutgers Ernest Mario School of Pharmacy we have an ambulatory care pharmacist and teach pharmacy students within our practice. We have also implemented an Osteopathic Manipulative Treatment (OMT) curriculum and a point-of care, hand-held ultrasound curriculum.
Our Family Medicine Center practice is divided into four multidisciplinary teams and incorporates disease and population care management. We have been exclusively using an electronic medical record since 2005 and transitioned to EPIC in June, 2019. Residents learn how to conduct group visits and function as a leader of the health care team. We also provide a strong longitudinal experience in Practice Management to prepare residents for the business aspects of their practice.
The JFK Family Medicine Residency plays an integral role in the Hackensack Meridian School of Medicine’s Department of Family Medicine. I am honored to have been appointed the Founding Chair of the Department of Family Medicine, and we are one of the clinical sites for the Department’s Family Medicine Clerkship. Members of our faculty also teach at the School of Medicine campus in Nutley, New Jersey.
Ultimately, our most important assets are the residents, faculty and staff who work together to create the highest quality residency program as evidenced by our 100% Board passage rate for the past twelve years. After learning about our vision for Family Medicine education, we hope you will seriously consider applying to our residency.
This year, we look forward to sharing all of the wonderful aspects of our program with you online.
Robin O. Winter, MD, MMM
- To educate new family physicians to provide patients with a personal medical home that ensures access to comprehensive, compassionate medical care through collaborative and ongoing relationships with our patients and health care teams. Our graduates will be innovative leaders of health care who have the skills for lifelong learning.
- Educate our residents in the principles of the Patient-Centered Medical Home
- Residents will be able to lead a multidisciplinary team delivering health care for an identified population
- Develop skills to understand the principles of research, how to critically read medical literature, and participate in scholarly activities utilizing their office as a clinical laboratory.
- Upon completion of the program, residents will be able to competently and independently practice the full scope of Family Medicine across the life span in the ambulatory, hospital, post-acute and long-term care settings.
The JFK Family Medicine Residency Program has maintained its tradition of excellence in teaching since 1976. It is the only primary care residency at JFK Medical Center, therefore there is no competition for patients or procedures. Family Medicine residents have the opportunity to interact with residents from the Neurology, Physical Medicine, and Rehabilitation residencies at the medical center. There are comprehensive ancillary services in the hospital to ensure that residents are not overburdened with “scut work”, providing adequate time for patient care and learning.
The Family Medicine Residency Program is affiliated with the Hackensack Meridian School of Medicine, Rutgers-Robert Wood Johnson Medical School and St. George’s University School of Medicine. The residency program is active in teaching core rotations in Family Medicine to students from our affiliated medical schools.
We are located in Edison, New Jersey, a diverse suburban community close to New York City, Philadelphia, the Jersey Shore, and the Watchung mountains. A warm learning environment, along with our energetic faculty and innovative curriculum, make our program second to none.