Brain Injury Rehabilitation in New Jersey | Hackensack Meridian Health
We Can Help You Recover After a Brain InjuryOur brain injury rehabilitation team helps patients recover after an accident or illness that results in brain injury. Our program is at the forefront of research and development in brain injury care, providing patients with access to the latest treatment methods.
Levels of Brain Injury CareWe offer three levels of brain injury rehabilitation, providing comprehensive treatment for patients in all stages of recovery:
- Inpatient Brain Trauma: Inpatient brain trauma treatment is the first phase of recovery and rehabilitation following medical stabilization.
- Extended Recovery Unit: The Extended Recovery Unit (ERU) is a specialized sub acute inpatient treatment unit designed for patients with brain injuries who have improved enough to move beyond the first phase of trauma treatment but still need more rehabilitative services before being discharged back to the community.
- Outpatient Cognitive Rehabilitation Program: After an inpatient stay, patients may transition to our Outpatient Cognitive Rehabilitation Program for continued treatment to improve mental functioning, physical abilities, communication, daily living skills, emotional adjustment and social functioning.
Treatment Options for Brain Injury RehabilitationWe offer a full range of inpatient and outpatient services designed to help you achieve independence and improve quality of life after a brain injury. Our services include:
- Acute, subacute and outpatient brain trauma recovery services: Our three levels of brain injury care allow us to optimize treatment for patients in any stage of recovery.
- As-needed consultation with other specialists: We collaborate with a full range of medical specialists, such as neuropsychologists, neurologists, radiologists, and more to address each patient’s unique needs.
- Behavior management: We help patients address behavioral changes that may occur after brain injury, including aggression, disinhibition, depression and social challenges.
- Concussion rehabilitation: Patients with less severe types of brain injuries may benefit from our outpatient concussion rehabilitation program.
- Counseling and psychological care: Patients with behavioral or mental health concerns have access to comprehensive psychological care.
- Discharge planning: Our caregiver education/preparation program assists patients and their families with the transition to home after discharge from inpatient rehabilitation.
- Family education, observation, support and training: We work closely with family members to help our patients succeed at home.
- Neuropsychological evaluation and consultation: We work with patients to identify and address psychological concerns that occur after brain injury.
- Physical, occupational, recreational and speech therapy: Our skilled therapists help patients maintain optimal functioning and independence.
- Supportive services: We offer social work and case management services to help patients achieve their quality-of-life goals during and after participation in our program.
- Spasticity management: We use the latest therapies to help patients manage spasticity symptoms, including tightness, stiffness, pain and spasms.
- Twenty-four-hour specialized rehabilitation nursing care: For patients who are in the acute or sub-acute phase of brain injury recovery, we offer 24/7 inpatient nursing care.
Bouncing Back from a Concussion: Michelle’s Story
“Rehabilitation therapy focuses on all activities of daily living — anything we do to take care of ourselves. This includes everything from how we think, to how we act with others, to every mental and cognitive task we perform throughout the day.”
Jaime M. Levine, D.O., medical director of brain injury rehabilitation at the Extended Recovery Unit at JFK Johnson Rehabilitation Institute.
Why Choose Hackensack Meridian Health for Brain Injury Rehabilitation
Our team members have earned the Accredited Brain Injury Specialists designation from the National Brain Injury Association. Our program partners with the Brain Injury Association of New Jersey (BIANJ), a brain injury advocacy organization, and our physicians are active in the organization’s leadership. Our program has received the accreditation from the Joint Commission and Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities (CARF) as an inpatient specialty program for brain injury rehabilitation, ensuring that our program meets or exceeds national quality standards. Our program has been recognized by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services as one of only 16 Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) Model System Sites in the nation - a designation that includes a $2.1 million grant to conduct brain injury research over a five-year period.
During an inpatient stay, each patient is under the care of a physician who is board certified in brain injury medicine. Three levels of brain injury care allow each patient to receive the appropriate treatment in all stages of recovery. Depending on their unique needs, patients have access to a full range of multidisciplinary specialists, including experts in behavior management, medical management, spasticity management, mobility, assisted technology, communication and cognitive disorders, neuropsychological management, social work and therapy. Actor and comedian Tracy Morgan continues to give back after receiving brain injury care at Hackensack Meridian JFK Johnson Rehabilitation Institute through the “Tracy Morgan Award for Excellence in Rehabilitation Nursing.”
Our specialists are leading the way in brain injury research and development, including developing various methods to assess, treat, and manage traumatic brain injuries and related complications. Our specialists have developed a comprehensive caregiver education/preparation program to assist patients and their families with the transition to home after discharge from inpatient rehabilitation.
"You have to fight to get better and have a great support system. I had great nurses and doctors. I had the best in the world.”
Tracy Morgan - Actor and Comedian
Our rehabilitation specialists work closely with you, your family, and your other care providers to assist with your recovery.
Individualized Approach to Rehabilitation
“The therapists were so amazing that I looked forward to going. They understood what I was going through on another level. They nudged me just enough to get back into my life. It was exactly what I needed.”