We are nationally ranked for our expertise in thoracic surgery, which focuses on the chest organs, including the heart, lungs, esophagus and trachea.
More than 80% of our surgical treatments and evaluations are done with minimally invasive approaches, which results in smaller incisions, a shorter hospital stay, less pain after surgery and a faster recovery time.
Our thoracic surgeons treat lung cancers, esophageal cancers, mediastinal tumors and a range of complex benign diseases and conditions of the chest. We also treat patients whose cancer has metastasized from other locations to the lungs, chest wall or mediastinum.
Our approaches include robotic surgery, thoracoscopic surgery, navigational bronchoscopy and endobronchial ultrasound.
We also perform ‘open’ procedures when necessary, including for complex airway surgeries, chest wall tumors and large tumors of the mediastinum.
Why Choose Hackensack Meridian Health for Thoracic Surgery?
- Pioneering New Treatments: We have the largest clinical research team in New Jersey. Our thoracic oncologists are actively involved in clinical trials that assess new treatments that have the potential to be more effective than existing therapies.
- Extensive Experience: We have one of the three largest programs in the New York metropolitan area for robotic surgery and are an international leader in the use of this technology, which often leads to better outcomes, fewer complications and a faster recovery.
- Better Outcomes: Our experts often treat advanced tumors that may be considered untreatable or inoperable elsewhere.
- Experts in Robotics: Our highly specialized thoracic surgeons are experts using minimally-invasive and robotic surgical techniques to diagnose and treat lung cancer, esophageal cancers and benign thoracic conditions. Learn More About Robotic Surgery.
- Connecting You to the Care You Need: The best care is multidisciplinary care—care that runs across specialties and disciplines. At Hackensack Meridian Health, you will be connected with the medical expertise and services you need, including medical oncology, radiation oncology, pulmonology, gastroenterology, interventional radiology, pathology, and anesthesiology to provide you with comprehensive treatment. We are dedicated to the multidisciplinary approach because it provides the best patient outcomes.
There is often more than one way to treat lung, esophageal, or other thoracic malignancies, depending on your disease. Our affiliation with The John Theurer Cancer Center allows us to provide the most current and state-of-the-art treatment options for every patient who comes to us with a diagnosis of cancer.
Thoracic Conditions Treated and Procedures Performed
Our top thoracic experts will carefully evaluate your condition and customize your treatment to provide you with the most advanced, effective and least invasive treatments available, based on the stage and biology of your cancer.
- Lung Cancer
- Lung Nodules and Masses
- Pancoast Tumor
- Lung Cysts and Bullae
Tracheal diseases affect the trachea (windpipe) and the two airways that lead to the lungs (bronchi).
- Tracheal/Bronchial Tumors
- Tracheal/Bronchial Stenosis
Pleural disorders affect lung tissue and the chest cavity.
- Pleural Effusion
- Pleural Tumors
Esophageal disorders affect the esophagus, which carries food from your mouth to your stomach.
- Esophageal Cancer
- Esophageal Masses
- Esophageal Cysts
- Esophageal Stricture
- Esophageal Rupture/Perforation
- Esophageal Foreign Body
- Hiatal and Paraesophageal Hernias
- Reflux Disease
- Diaphragm Paralysis
Chest wall tumors are abnormal cell growths that occur in the walls of the chest cavity.
- Rib and Sternum Tumors
The mediastinum contains the trachea (windpipe), esophagus, heart, thymus, fat, nerves and lymph nodes.
- Pericardial effusion
- Mediastinal Cysts
- Mediastinal Tumors
- Enlarged Mediastinal Lymph Nodes
Robotic Assisted Surgery
VATS (Video Assisted Thoracic Surgery)
Lung - We specialize in performing complicated lung procedures, including the following:
- Wedge Resection
- Sleeve Lobectomy
Airway - We perform the following airway procedures:
- Bronchoscopy (Flexible and Rigid)
- Endobronchial Ultrasound (EBUS)
- Navigational Bronchoscopy (biopsy, fiducial
- Tracheal/Bronchial Tumor Debridement and
- Tracheal Resection
- Tracheal/Bronchial Dilation
- Tracheal/Bronchial Stenting
Pleura - We perform the following procedures within the chest cavity:
- Pleurx Catheter Insertion
- Thoracic Duct Ligation
- Extrapleural Pneumonectomy
Esophagus/Stomach/Diaphragm - We perform the following procedures:
- Esophagoscopy (EGD)
- Esophageal Dilation
- Esophageal Stenting
- Removal of Esophageal Foreign Body
- Esophageal Myotomy (Heller Myotomy)
- Hiatal Hernia Repair
- Diaphragm Plication
Chest Wall - We perform the following procedures:
- Resection and Reconstruction of Rib and Sternum
- Tumor removal
Mediastinum - We specialize in performing the following procedures for the trachea (windpipe), esophagus, heart, thymus, fat, nerves and lymph nodes:
- Pericardial Window
- Resection of Mediastinal Tumors
Prepare for Your Appointment & SurgeryWe realize how upsetting and confusing a known or possible diagnosis of cancer can be for patients and their families. Our team is dedicated to scheduling your appointment within a week of your initial phone call and will provide clear information every step of the way.
Please remember to bring any discs of scans and reports that we do not already have so that our doctors can review them and provide you with a complete recommendation regarding your care. Our experts also welcome your questions so feel free to jot them down and bring them with you to your appointment.
Our staff will provide information regarding your surgery date and time as well as preoperative instructions. If you have any questions please call the office.
“They were all fantastic,” she says. “When I had the surgeries, I got the same nurse three times checking me in. By the end, I knew her life story.” - Eileen Bostonian, Branchville, New Jersey
The combination of expert surgeons, advanced technology and breadth of cancer care services is what makes Hackensack Meridian Health a trusted choice for patients and families in New Jersey. We provide a full range of procedures and surgeries.