Vasectomy and Vasectomy ReversalIf you are considering a vasectomy, it is natural to be nervous. The urology experts at Hackensack Meridian Health can set your mind at ease. Our highly experienced urologists use the latest no-scalpel technique to perform vasectomy with great care and precision. This decreases your discomfort and recovery time while providing effective birth control for you and your partner.
For men looking to reverse a vasectomy, Hackensack Meridian Health is one of only a few centers in the U.S. offering innovative, robot-assisted microsurgery.
Vasectomy Questions and Answers
- One of the most effective forms of birth control, with effectiveness up to 99 percent in preventing pregnancy once you are cleared by your urologist.
- Does not affect your sex drive, pleasure, ejaculate or ability to have an erection.
- No interruption in sexual activity to put on a condom or insert a diaphragm.
- A vasectomy is a procedure to stop flow in the vas deferens, the tube that carries sperm into your semen.
- Following a vasectomy, you still produce semen and can ejaculate. Because your semen won’t contain sperm, a woman’s egg can’t be fertilized after sexual intercourse.
Hackensack Meridian Health urologists specialize in the no-scalpel approach to perform vasectomy. The procedure takes about 20-30 minutes in the urologist’s office.
- A local anesthetic is used to numb the area. You may feel a slight pulling sensation during the procedure.
- A small opening is made through the scrotum skin with a special instrument. One portion of the vas deferens is lifted through the opening. The tube is cut and the ends are either tied off or sealed with heat before being returned to the scrotum. The process is repeated for the other vas deferens.
- The small opening will heal without stitches.
- You may leave following the procedure to recover in the comfort of your home.
- You may experience mild discomfort the day of your procedure. Icing your scrotum and pain relievers such as acetaminophen are recommended.
- You should be able to resume your usual activities within 24 hours and sexual relations after one to two weeks.
- The vasectomy is not effective right away. You will need to bring semen samples to the lab for analysis. You will be cleared by your urologist once your semen shows no trace of sperm (usually in three to four months). Until then, another form of birth control is recommended.
Vasectomy is recommended for men who do not plan to have any more children. Sometimes, circumstances change and you may wish to have your vasectomy reversed in order to have more children.
The urologists at Hackensack Meridian Health are experienced in minimally invasive vasectomy reversal. We are among the few in the country to offer robot-assisted microsurgery to reconnect the vas deferens.
Our approach offers the highest accuracy possible. Although the reversal of a vasectomy is not guaranteed, our urologists have an excellent success rate.
Why Choose Us for Vasectomy or Vasectomy Reversal
- Experts in Male Fertility: Hackensack Meridian Health offers urologists who are board certified and fellowship trained in male reproductive medicine and surgery.
- Innovative Surgery: You have access to state-of-the-art surgical approaches to vasectomy and vasectomy reversal, with more precision, less discomfort, and the best possible success rate. In fact, Hackensack Meridian Health is one of only a few centers in the U.S. offering robot-assisted microsurgery for vasectomy reversal.
- Compassionate Care: The urologists at Hackensack Meridian Health understand that men have unique needs when it comes to urological care. Our urologists provide expert, compassionate care for common issues to the most complex problem.
Why Choose Hackensack Meridian Health for Urology Care
Hackensack University Medical Center has been ranked the #1 Urology Department in New Jersey for nine years in a row by U.S. News & World Report and is the only urology department in New Jersey that is nationally ranked.
Our urologists have performed many successful vasectomy reversals. If you are seeking a vasectomy reversal, you can trust our experienced urologists to provide the best minimally invasive surgical care.
We specialize in a range of urologic disciplines including urologic oncology, infertility, stone disease, sexual dysfunction, female urology and pediatric urology.
Our award-winning team of renowned surgeons, physicians, researchers and other health care specialists are able to provide exceptional urological expertise, advancements and cutting-edge technology to develop a highly-personalized plan for each and every one of our patients.