What is Pulmonary Medicine?Pulmonary medicine diagnoses, treats and manages disorders of the respiratory system, including the lungs, chest wall, upper airways, and thoracic cavity.
A full range of services, including a pulmonary laboratory, an inpatient sleep clinic, outpatient pulmonary care, an exercise physiology lab and pulmonary rehabilitation, are available for diagnosing and treating pulmonary conditions, even unusual or complicated respiratory system diseases.
Diagnosing Pulmonary Conditions
Our pulmonologists provide comprehensive care using the latest diagnostic tests, including:
Pulmonary Function Tests
Pulmonary function tests help your doctor determine how well your lungs are working by measuring lung volume, capacity, rates of flow and gas exchange.
Our specialists analyze how your lungs respond to physical activity using specialized tests that are given in our Pulmonary Exercise Physiology Lab. Based on your test results, our specialists can diagnose your condition and develop a specialized treatment plan for you.
Our pulmonologists provide comprehensive care for a full range of respiratory diseases and conditions, including:
- Asthma: a chronic condition that causes your airways to become inflamed and can lead to coughing, shortness of breath or wheezing
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD): a chronic disease that causes inflammation that blocks airflow from your lungs
- Emphysema: a lung condition that occurs when air sacs in your lungs are damaged and do not work properly
- Bronchitis: the lining of your bronchial tubes — which carry air to and from your lungs - become inflamed
- Pneumonia: a lung infection that causes inflammation in the air sacs of the lungs
- Sleep apnea: when your breathing stops and starts while you are sleeping
- Sleep related conditions: such as restless leg syndrome, REM sleep behavior disorder, narcolepsy and sleepwalking
- Lung cancer
- Pulmonary tuberculosis (TB): an infectious disease that is caused by bacteria and primarily affects your lungs
- Cystic fibrosis: a genetic disorder that causes damage to the lungs and other organs
Why Choose Hackensack Meridian Health
The division of Pulmonary Medicine at Hackensack University Medical Center has been repeatedly ranked by U.S. News & World Report as one of the top pulmonary divisions in the Metropolitan Tri-State area and the expert team at Jersey Shore University Medical Center has received the High Performing Hospital Award for COPD by U.S. News & World Report.