Center for Weight Loss and Metabolic Health
If you're overweight and haven't had weight loss success on your own, our team at the Center for Weight Loss and Metabolic Health at Hackensack University Medical Center will provide a personalized plan of care to help you finally meet your weight loss goals.
Obesity is a long-term chronic condition that requires long-term treatment. At the Center for Weight Loss and Metabolic Health, we'll take that journey with you and stay on it for as long as it takes.
How Our Program Is Different
Weight loss is not one size fits all. We draw from a toolkit of different services to put together the weight loss plan that is most effective for you. We'll analyze what works and what doesn't work for your particular body, and make changes to the plan until you experience successful weight loss.
Our expert team provides many weight loss strategies that have been proven through clinical research, such as:
- Nutritional counseling
- Weight loss medications
- Weight loss surgery
- Exercise guidance
- Dietary supplements
Our Multidisciplinary Team
Because our weight loss center is located at Hackensack University Medical Center, you will have access to specialists across the hospital who can help you meet your weight loss goals, and support other weight-related health issues:
- Endocrinologists who specialize in medical weight loss and those who treat diabetes
- Registered dietitians providing nutritional guidance
- Fitness experts who can help you live a more active life
- Experts in sleep medicine, since being overweight is often associated with poor sleep
- Cardiologists to support your heart health
- Bariatric and metabolic surgeons who provide the full range of weight loss surgery approaches
- Orthopedists who specialize in the care of the bones, muscles, and joints
Are You A Candidate for Weight Loss Services?
You may be eligible for our services if you have a body mass index (BMI) of 27 or more and are having trouble managing your weight on your own.
We also help people with weight-related medical conditions such as:
- High blood pressure
- High cholesterol/triglycerides
- Heart disease
- Sleep apnea
What to Expect
Before a weight loss plan is developed, you will complete a pre-screening evaluation that includes:
- Blood tests to assess your metabolism and other aspects of your health
- Electrocardiogram (EKG) to evaluate your heart for arrhythmias
- A review of your health and medical history
- Questions about what weight loss methods you have tried before and the results
- A survey of your level of physical activity and what kinds of exercise you can or cannot perform
- Screening for sleep apnea (a disorder which cause you to stop breathing many times a night) using a simple 8-question survey
Your Weight Loss Plan
Based on the results of your evaluation, a customized care plan will be developed. You will then meet with specialists in each area of need (for example, nutritional counseling) to go over the plan and speak through any questions and concerns.
Prescription weight loss medications may be recommended. Please be aware that insurance coverage for weight loss medications varies based on your insurance plan.
A Long-Term Relationship
Once you begin following your plan, you’ll come in monthly so the team can assess your progress and help you overcome any barriers.
During your monthly visits, your care team will tweak your plan as needed to ensure your weight loss success.
While your care team is by your side every step of the way, we have found that many members of our center enjoy being part of a support group with others who are on their own weight loss journeys.
In this setting, many share feelings, experiences and tips with other support group members. Speak to your care team if you’re interested in joining a support group.
Schedule an Appointment
Call the Center for Weight Loss and Metabolic Health today at 551-996-4424 for more information or to schedule an appointment.