Autism and ADHD
Developmental CareOur pediatric developmental experts evaluate, diagnose and treat children with learning, behavioral and developmental conditions. Our team specializes in treating:
- Autism spectrum disorders
- Attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADD and ADHD)
- Cerebral palsy
- Down syndrome
- Fetal alcohol spectrum disorders
- Fragile X syndrome
- Tourette syndrome
Our child evaluation program offers:
- Down Syndrome Clinic: Provides team consultations and assessments regarding the medical, developmental, behavioral, and educational issues related to Down syndrome. At Joseph M. Sanzari Children’s Hospital at Hackensack University Medical Center, this program is known as the Judy Center for Down Syndrome.
- Infant/Toddler Assessment Program (ITAP): Provides comprehensive screening and monitoring of high-risk infants and toddlers up to age 3, to start them on recommended therapies.
- Regional Fetal Alcohol Diagnostic Program: Improves early diagnosis and management of children who have been exposed to alcohol in utero.
Our highly-trained developmental specialists assess your child with a thorough examination. When needed, they make referrals to other pediatric specialists at our children’s hospitals.
Our social workers will also help put your mind at ease and by connecting you to everything you may need, from early intervention to transition services for your adolescent, including:
- Advocacy, support groups and therapies
- Education/schooling assistance
- Home care agencies
- Insurance guidance
- Medical equipment
- Referrals to other specialists
Autism Care – dedicated to the medical home philosophy
We are committed to providing care to our patients with autism that is:
- Accessible: There is a single contact point, streamlining referrals and the overall appointment process.
- Compassionate: Our compassionate staff members provide sensitive and personalized care.
- Continuous: Ongoing comprehensive care is provided by a health team.
- Coordinated: Care is coordinated with primary pediatricians, subspecialists and community resources.
- Culturally sensitive: Language and sign interpreters are available to facilitate services. We are sensitive to and serve diverse racial, ethnic, religious and socio-economic populations.
- Patient- and family-centered: Care is supportive and personalized, taking into consideration family values, feedback and resources.
The family resource specialist at Joseph M. Sanzari Children’s Hospital is provided through our partnership with the Statewide Parent Advocacy Network (SPAN). SPAN is a statewide program with resources for parents, caregivers and families, to help them advocate for their children in collaboration with their school district. Our family resource specialist provides guidance on:
- The transition from early intervention to preschool
- Navigating the transition process for adolescents
- Linkage to NJ Resources for Families; Making Connections to Information Services
Join other parents and caregivers that understand the challenges of watching their child struggle with learning or behavioral issues. A social worker and family resource specialist lead our parent support groups which allow for sharing and open dialogue. We offer both day and evening hours to accommodate everyone’s schedules.
The Institute for Child Development at Hackensack University Medical Center offers workshops for siblings of children with disabilities or special health care needs to help them connect with their siblings. Children, ages 7-13, are invited to take part in activities with an experienced social worker or child life team member.
Joseph M. Sanzari Children's Hospital at Hackensack University Medical Center
University Medical Center
30 Prospect Ave, Hackensack, NJ 07601
K. Hovnanian Children's Hospital at Jersey Shore University Medical Center
19 Davis Avenue, 5th Floor, Neptune, NJ 07753
Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD)
Child Evaluation Center
81 Davis Avenue, Suite 4, Neptune, NJ 07753
732-776-4178, ext. 2
Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) – Child Evaluation Center
732-776-4178, ext. 2
Our pediatric developmental experts evaluate, diagnose and treat children with learning, behavioral and developmental conditions.