Promoting quality of life, healing, and an extra layer of support for children through their complex medical journey.
Our center is staffed by:
- Pediatric nurse practitioners
- Social workers
- Child life specialists
- Creative arts therapists
- Is different from treatment used to cure an illness. The goals of palliative care are to relieve symptoms and improve quality of life for a child with complex, chronic, serious or advanced illness.
- Ensures your child receives well integrated care while considering family’s non-medical needs
- Ensures integration of quality of life into medical plan for patient and patient’s family
- Families are given the opportunity to make decisions that are in line with their family values, traditions and culture. This improves the well-being of the entire family
- Benefits both your child and your family by relieving physical and emotional symptoms, as well as pain that can make facing serious illness so difficult for the child and the family
- Provides emotional, social, spiritual, and bereavement support for your child and your family
- Facilitates communications between your child, members of your family and your healthcare providers
- Promotes continuity of care
Joseph M. Sanzari Children’s Hospital is one of the only children’s hospitals in New Jersey with a pediatric palliative care program certified by Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations. That means that we provide a formal care program led by a team of specialists with advanced training in pediatric palliative care and a process to support coordination of care and communication among all providers in a hospital setting.
Liam’s Room at K. Hovnanian Children’s Hospital
K. Hovnanian Children’s Hospital offers Liam’s Room, located in the pediatric intensive care unit. The room has a home-like atmosphere and features many amenities that make patients and their families feel more comfortable during an extended hospital stay. The newly renovated room contains typical amenities that a child’s bedroom at home might offer, including bright colors, a video game and movie system, and bookshelf. A sleeper sofa, comfortable quilts and pillows, a private bathroom and beach-themed artwork supplement the room for the family’s comfort.
The Pediatric Palliative Care Team sees children for inpatients for inpatient consults, or outpatient clinic visits. During the consultation, we evaluate your child’s health and feelings, your family’s needs, and your care team’s medical plan in order to formulate recommendations. We are available to discuss communication with you primary team, pain and symptom issues, hospice and home care, psychological/spiritual stressors and care coordination.
Our pediatric palliative care team improves quality of life for children with life-threatening or life-limiting conditions. Blending palliative care with curative treatment is essential in providing your child and family with the most complete medical care possible.