Palliative CarePromoting quality of life, healing, and an extra layer of support for children through their complex medical journey. Our center is staffed by:
- Pediatric nurse practitioners
- Social workers
- Child life specialists
- Creative arts therapists
- Is different from treatment used to cure an illness. The goals of palliative care are to relieve symptoms and improve quality of life for a child with complex, chronic, serious or advanced illness.
- Ensures your child receives well integrated care while considering family’s non-medical needs
- Ensures integration of quality of life into medical plan for patient and patient’s family
- Families are given the opportunity to make decisions that are in line with their family values, traditions and culture. This improves the well-being of the entire family
- Benefits both your child and your family by relieving physical and emotional symptoms, as well as pain that can make facing serious illness so difficult for the child and the family
- Provides emotional, social, spiritual, and bereavement support for your child and your family
- Facilitates communications between your child, members of your family and your health care providers
- Promotes continuity of care
The Pediatric Palliative Care Team sees children for inpatients for inpatient consults, or outpatient clinic visits. During the consultation, we evaluate your child’s health and feelings, your family’s needs, and your care team’s medical plan in order to formulate recommendations. We are available to discuss communication with you primary team, pain and symptom issues, hospice and home care, psychological/spiritual stressors and care coordination.
Make a Gift to Joseph M. Sanzari Children’s Hospital Palliative Care Program
Make a Gift to K. Hovnanian Children’s Hospital Palliative Care Program
Our pediatric palliative care team improves quality of life for children with life-threatening or life-limiting conditions. Blending palliative care with curative treatment is essential in providing your child and family with the most complete medical care possible.