What is Heart Failure?
Heart failure occurs when the heart doesn’t pump as efficiently as it should to deliver oxygen and nutrient-rich blood to the body. This results in fatigue, shortness of breath and fluid retention that can permanently damage your heart. This does not develop suddenly, but happens over time as the heart’s pumping ability declines and cannot keep up with the workload.
Diagnosing Heart FailureCardiologists use a variety of cardiac diagnostic tests to identify heart failure, including electrocardiography (ECG or EKG), ultrasound (echocardiography) and cardiac catheterization.
Treating Heart Failure
Treatment options include:
- Medications: pills or intravenous medications to control heart failure symptoms
- Diet and lifestyle changes: eating a low sodium, low fat diet and adding a workout routine
- Treatment of irregular heart rhythms: including implantable devices like a pacemaker or cardioverter-defibrillator
- Cardiac surgery or stenting: to replace valves or unblock arteries
- Heart Transplant
- Ventricular Assist Devices (VAD): or other mechanical support
Why Choose HMH for Heart Care
Our programs are accredited by the American College of Cardiology for Heart Failure and eight hospitals received the high-performing rating for Heart Failure by U.S. News & World Report in 2022. Hackensack University Medical Center was ranked in the top 50 hospitals for Cardiology and Cardiac Surgery by U.S. News & World Report, as well as earning the title as best cardiology & heart surgery program in NJ.
Our program blends the expertise of a variety of experts, including physician assistants and advanced nurse practitioners, allied health professionals, physical therapists, social workers, registered dietitians, Magnet recognized nurses and many more to provide a comprehensive care plan focusing on the patient as the center.
After receiving care for heart failure, Natalie is making sure to focus on her health. “I am going to try to fight to keep living. I want to be there for my grandkids and my kids as long as I can.” - Natalie Santos
The combination of expert surgeons, advanced technology and array of heart care services makes Hackensack Meridian Health a trusted choice for patients and families in New Jersey.
Find a Location for Heart Failure
Heart Care Services
- Advanced Cardiac Imaging
- Atrial Fibrillation
- Cardiac Catheterization
- Cardiac MRI
- Cardiac Rehabilitation
- Cardiac Resynchronization Therapy
- Cardiac Stress Test
- Cardiogenic Shock Management
- Coronary Artery Bypass Graft Surgery
- CT Calcium Scoring
- Heart Failure
- HeartFlow Analysis
- Screenings, Prevention and Diagnostics
- Heart Surgery Options
- Left Ventricular Assist Device (LVAD)
- Pacemaker Implantation
- Pulmonary Hypertension
- Robotic Heart Surgery
- Structural and Congenital Heart Disease
- TCAR Procedure
- Valve Surgery
- Vascular Care