Amputee Rehabilitation Program in New Jersey | Hackensack Meridian Health
We Can Help You Recover after Upper or Lower Limb AmputationBeginning with an evaluation shortly after surgery, our amputee rehabilitation specialists will work with each patient’s medical treatment team to develop a plan to return them to the highest possible level of function, independence and quality of life.
Treatment Options for Upper or Lower Limb Amputation RehabilitationWe offer a full range of inpatient and outpatient services designed to help patients achieve independence and return to the activities they enjoy. Our services include:
- Advanced prosthetic gait and running training: We help athletes refine their stride after receiving a prosthesis.
- Driver training program: Our certified driver rehabilitation specialists help patients get back on the road through our state-certified program that includes pre-driver evaluation, on the road evaluation, and on-the-road training.
- First Swing seminar and Learn to Golf clinic: Our unique program helps people who have experienced limb loss learn to golf or adapt their swing.
- Monthly support group: We bring together patients who have experienced limb loss so they can educate and support each other.
- Nutritional counseling: Proper nutrition supports wound healing and reduces the risk of future amputations for patients with diabetes and other health conditions.
- Pain management: Our pain management specialists treat wound and phantom pain after limb loss.
- Physical and occupational therapy: Physical therapy and occupational therapy help return patients to their normal activities after upper or lower limb amputation.
- Pre-prosthetic and post-prosthetic training: We help patients prepare for and learn to use their new prosthetic.
- Pre-surgical consultations: Before surgery, we consult with patients and surgeons to determine future prosthetic and rehabilitation needs.
- Preventative limb care: Preventive limb care can reduce the risk of future amputations.
- Prosthetic and orthotic evaluation, prescriptions and fittings: Our prosthetists offer comprehensive care during all stages of rehabilitation.
- Psychological counseling: Our psychologists help patients adjust to limb loss.
- Recreational therapy: Returning to sports and hobbies is critical to well-being and quality of life after amputation.
- Wound care: Expert wound care reduces the risk of complications and helps our patients recover faster.
Without Breaking Stride: Margaret's Story
Why Choose Hackensack Meridian Health for Limb Amputation Rehabilitation
Our rehabilitation team includes board-certified physical medicine and rehabilitation physicians, certified rehabilitation registered nurses (CRRN), therapists, prosthetists, case managers and social workers, allowing patients to access a full range of treatments and services to meet their needs. Our specialists are experts in the latest prosthetic limb technology.
Our patients are evaluated by a prosthetic team that includes a physical medicine and rehabilitation physician, therapists and a prosthetist. We offer both inpatient and outpatient amputee rehabilitation and additional supportive services.
We offer the latest prosthetic technology, including microprocessor knees and myoelectric upper limb controls. State-of-the-art prosthetic limbs are custom designed and fabricated for any level of amputation. We offer advanced prosthetic gait and running training to help our patients get back to the activities they enjoy.
Our rehabilitation specialists work closely with you, your family, and your other care providers to assist with your recovery.