Driver rehabilitation in New Jersey | Hackensack Meridian Health
Driver Rehabilitation Training and Services
We provide the following driver rehabilitation training and services:
- A comprehensive 90-minute clinical evaluation of your physical and cognitive driving capabilities, including your vision, cognition, perception and reaction time.
- A comprehensive one-hour behind-the-wheel driver evaluation in our customized vehicle to assess your driving abilities and needs. You must demonstrate adequate skills during the clinical evaluation progress in order to qualify for this service.
- Personalized one-hour training sessions that are customized for your specific condition and driving rehabilitation needs, including instruction on how to:
- Transfer into and out of the vehicle
- Load/unload a wheelchair (if applicable)
- Operate the vehicle’s primary controls (gas, brake, steering)
- Operate secondary controls (blinkers, windshield wipers, horn, headlights)
- Drive in all traffic environments
- Make quick decisions
- Outfitting your vehicle with adaptive equipment and teaching you how to use it
How Our Driver Rehabilitation Program Can Help You
Our occupational therapists have undergone specialized training to become Certified Driver Rehabilitation Specialists and are experts in developing a safe driving plan that is customized to fit your skills, condition and needs.
We also work with mobility equipment dealers and manufacturers to help you achieve independence safely and comfortably in your vehicle.
Who Can Benefit from Our Driver Rehabilitation Program
We work with new and experienced drivers with a variety of conditions, including but not limited to:
Low Vision (Bioptic Lenses)
Spinal Cord Injury
Why Choose Hackensack Meridian Health for Driver Training Rehabilitation
JFK Johnson Rehabilitation Institute and Johnson Rehabilitation Institute at Ocean University Medical Center are among the only six locations licensed throughout the state to provide this specialized training. Our locations are the only two locations in the state of New Jersey to offer training for drivers using Bioptic Lenses.
Our program is recognized nationally by the Association for Driver Rehabilitation Specialists, a professional network that promotes excellence in the field of driver rehabilitation.
We create a training program that is unique to your specific needs, condition and vehicle customizations.
I am so grateful for the professionalism and experience of everyone at the Driver Rehabilitation Program at the JFK Rehabilitation Institute. The feeling of independence they gave me is amazing. Thank you for helping me get behind the wheel again!
- Diana, a patient of the Driver Rehabilitation Program
Our rehabilitation specialists work closely with you, your family, and your other care providers to assist with your recovery.