When to Seek Speech TherapyWe provide speech therapy services for patients experiencing these conditions:
- Aphasia (loss of language skills)
- Articulation disorders
- Autism spectrum disorder
- Cognitive impairment, dementia and memory loss
- Dysphagia (swallowing) disorders
- Expressive or receptive language disorders
- Fluency (stuttering) disorders
- Head and neck cancer complications
- Voice disorders
Our Speech Therapy Services
JFK Johnson Rehabilitation Institute offers hospital-based and outpatient speech therapy. Services include:
- Electrical stimulation. A non-invasive therapy that uses an electrical current to stimulate the muscles responsible for swallowing.
- Electrolaryngeal voice training. Training for patients who are learning to use the electrolarynx, a battery-operated machine that produces sound, to replace their voice after a laryngectomy (removal of their larynx).
- Esophageal speech training. Training for patients who are learning to use esophageal voice —the use of air in the esophagus to vibrate the esophagus muscle — to replace their voice after a laryngectomy.
- Lee Silverman Voice Treatment (LSVT)™ SPEAKOUT™. Evidence based treatment programs to improve speech and voice for patients with Parkinson’s Disease which require specialized certification.
- Modified barium swallow. A fluoroscopic (type of X-ray) procedure for patients with swallowing problems used to determine whether food or liquid is entering a person’s lungs, which might cause aspiration pneumonia.
- Tracheoesophageal puncture prosthesis (TEP) fitting and training. Fitting and training for patients learning to use TEP to restore their voice after a laryngectomy.
- Voice and pitch evaluations. Our speech therapists use specialized technology to evaluate voice strength and clarity through analysis of pitch, volume, rate, rhythm and tone.
Why Choose JFK Johnson Rehabilitation Institute for Speech Therapy
Hackensack Meridian Johnson Rehabilitation Institute’s speech therapy program’s outcome measures score consistently higher than other regional and national speech therapy providers. Our speech-language pathologists have earned multiple certifications and specializations in nationally recognized speech rehabilitation programs. Our staff draw on years of experience, using the latest technologies and techniques to help each patient meet their speech therapy goals.
Our team works closely with each patient’s care team to develop a personalized treatment plan to provide effective, compassionate and high-level care. Hackensack Meridian Health offers a number of support groups, such as the Aphasia Support Group, the Social Skills Group, and the Laryngectomy Support Group.
Our rehabilitation specialists work closely with you, your family, and your other care providers to assist with your recovery.