OverviewWe are the first New Jersey AOA-approved dermatology residency; we encompass education in outpatient and inpatient dermatology, surgery, Mohs’ cosmetic dermatology and dermatopathology. Hackensack Meridian Health Palisades Medical Center Dermatology Residency program has affiliations with hospital-based clinics (Bergen County Regional Medical Center) and multiple outpatient offices. Inpatient dermatological consultations are also offered at Bergen County Regional and Hackensack Meridian Health Palisades Medical Center (inpatient only), and Hackensack University Medical Center. Most outpatient offices offer general dermatology, cosmetic dermatology and dermatologic surgery services.
TrainingThe residents in the Hackensack University Medical Center Palisades Dermatology program learn the basic classification of diseases and the pharmacodynamics of the various therapeutic agents as they relate or apply to the field of dermatology. Didactic focus is on recognition and treatment of dermatologic conditions during the chronological progression of the integumentary system (i.e., the neonatal, pediatric, adolescent, adult and geriatric cycles of life) in order to provide whole-patient health care as it relates to osteopathic dermatology. The resident is trained in mycology, allergy and immunology, dermatologic surgery and oncology, medical dermatology and dermatologic physical modalities, as well as in the clinical subjects of dermatopathology, therapeutic radiology and phototherapy, medical dermatology and dermatologic physical modalities. The resident is educated and skilled in the field of dermatologic surgery (general, cosmetic and Mohs’ Micrographic surgery) and supervised by dermatologists proficient in their clinical applications. Finally, knowledge of in-patient dermatology care is vital to Hackensack University Medical Center Palisades dermatology and all residents participate in hospital consultations. Clinical rotations are selected for the resident to assure the resident achieves a well-rounded education with all dermatologic specialties.
Education of ResidentsTechniques of medical writing, manuscript preparation, and manuscript presentation are incorporated into the residency program for presentation at national and international meetings. Grant writing is also part of the curriculum and residents are encouraged to apply for local and federal grants to support their projects. All dermatology faculty involved with Hackensack University Medical Center Palisades Derm and residents participate in giving lectures as part of comprehensive didactics sessions weekly, and CPC is held monthly. Residents are encouraged to attend NJ and PA derm society meetings and journal clubs to further their education. Finally, all residents are encouraged to attend basic science lecture series at Indiana University and surgical conference (Scripps). All attendings review histories, physical examinations and other pertinent information associated with patient care, and residents have a quarterly quality improvement session where they meet with the PD and DME to discuss their progress in the program.
DidacticsDermatology Disease Database
Use the links below for rotation Request Forms.
Textbooks & Required ReadingIn addition to articles assigned from the JAAD, JAMA Dermatology and others, the following texts will be required:
- Bolognia's Dermatology, 3rd Ed.
- Andrew's Diseases of the Skin, 10th Ed.
- Spitz's Genodermatoses, 2nd Ed.
- Wolverton’s Comprehensive Dermatologic Drug Therapy, 3rd Ed.
- Weedon Dermatopathology, 3rd Ed.
- Elston’s Dermatopathology Requisites
- Robinson’s Surgery of the Skin: Procedural Dermatology, 2nd Ed.
- Atlas of Dermoscopy, 2nd Ed.
- Hurwitz Pediatric Dermatology
- AOA Opportunities
Collaborating Clinics and Institutions
- The Dermatology Institute and Laser Center, Clifton and North Bergen
- The Dermatology Group, Paramus
- The Dermatology Clinic, Freehold
- Dermatologists and Aesthetic Specialists, Hackensack
- Atlantic Dermatology, Woodlank Park and Passaic
- Hackensack University Medical Group, Hackensack
- New Bridge/Bergen County Regional Medical Center, Paramus
- Hackensack Meridian Health Palisades Medical Center, North Bergen
- Hackensack University Medical Center, Hackensack
- Bridge Dermpath at Englewood Health Hospital, Englewood
- Kinnelon Dermatology Associates, Kinnelon
- Ackerman Academy of Dermatopathology, Manhattan, NYC
- Bridge Dermpath, Tarrytown, NY