East Mountain Youth Lodge
Our residents include males and females age 13-18 with psychiatric, emotional and behavioral difficulties, most of whom have a history of failed placements elsewhere, and who have experienced multiple traumas such as sexual abuse, abandonment, and loss. Many residents have been previously diagnosed with Conduct Disorder, Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, Depression, Anxiety, Impulse Control Disorder, Substance Abuse, and various other psychotic and personality disorders. Their behavioral histories could include property destruction, violence, anti-social behavior, stealing, defiance of authority, poor school attendance, illegal activity, running away and drug use/dealing.
The East Mountain Youth Lodge provides one direct care staff member for every four to five adolescents. Our clinical team includes a Board-certified psychiatrist, licensed clinical social worker, registered nurse, substance abuse counselor and residential counselor.
Programs & Treatment
All programs at East Mountain Youth Lodge provide 24-hour intensive residential services, plus afford access to the full array of a youth behavioral health continuum on campus, including a special education school program and an Adolescent and Teen Inpatient Unit if needed for acute crisis stabilization. EMYL provides individual, group and family therapy, psychiatric, and nursing services as well as education, recreation and adventure-based treatment, all aimed at building our resident’s strengths and coping mechanisms and preparing them to be successful in less restrictive settings.
We offer a comprehensive family treatment component, addiction treatment, and volunteer experiences available to our young people as well. On the grounds, residents have the use of a full indoor gym, an outdoor in-ground pool, a softball field, tennis, basketball and volleyball courts, a game room, chapel, art room, hiking trails and a low ropes adventure treatment site. Specialized programs such as equine therapy further encourage teens to get in touch with their feelings and emotions, so they can better understand themselves and begin to heal.
- Individual, family and group therapy with licensed clinical social workers
- Psychiatric consultation and medication monitoring
- 24-hour therapeutic milieu including Specialized addiction treatment
- NA/AA meetings in the community
- Daily social skills training groups
- Education at Carrier Clinic’s East Mountain Day School
- Pre-vocational training
- Individualized case management and discharge planning
- Physical fitness program includes camping, canoeing, hiking, rock climbing, swimming, trips to the beach, lakes, amusement parks, and sporting events
- Year-round recreational activities are geared to expose residents to appropriate social interactions and cultural programs such as music, arts, and crafts
- Adventure-based counseling
- Full Value Contract approach, peer intervention, and group accountability
- Crisis intervention
As part of Carrier Clinic’s full continuum of behavioral health care, residents have access to a wide array of additional services:
- Inpatient Care
- Lab Services
- Physical Therapy
- East Mountain School