Neurosciences at Hackensack Meridian Health
Ranked One of the Best Neurosurgical Programs in the Country
At the Hackensack Meridian Neuroscience Institute, we understand that issues that affect your brain, nerves and spine deeply affect your quality of life.
That’s why our subspecialists have received the highest level of training possible for their area of expertise and use the latest technology to understand, diagnose, treat and eventually prevent these life-altering diseases. And it’s why our researchers dedicate their lives to understanding and advancing the treatment of brain, nervous system and spine disorders.
We’ll keep getting better, together. Our neuroscience specialists provide complete care to patients and their loved ones every step of the way, from prevention to diagnosis, emergency treatment to rehabilitation, and even home care and social support.
Our goal is to offer you new options and hope, a better quality of life and a lasting peace of mind so you can live your best life.
Here are just some of the many reasons to trust us for your care:
Our wide array of specialists and subspecialists means you can access the expert care and clinical trials you need, from one integrated health network.
- Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS): We bring together different specialists in one all-inclusive visit to deliver the best and most convenient health care experience. We also work closely with the ALS Association to exchange the latest information and best care practices.
- Brain & Spinal Tumor Center: We’re a leader in the diagnosis, treatment and rehabilitation of benign and malignant brain and spinal cord tumors.
- Center for Advanced Skull Base Surgery: Our highly specialized team of experts provide treatments for tumors, growths or other abnormalities that may exist on the brain, skull base, or spinal column and provide seamless care through all stages of treatment.
- Center for Memory Loss and Brain Health: Our integrated team provides comprehensive, patient centered, coordinated care for dementia, Alzheimer's and other memory disorders.
- Concussion Center: We provide individualized evaluation and treatment using a medical model that is proven to maximize recovery and reduce disability in adults and children.
- Epilepsy: We provide specialized services to help children and adults gain control of seizures without interfering with their normal activities of daily living. We have dedicated epilepsy monitoring units and a specialized team of neurologists and neurosurgeons ensuring complete management of care.
- Essential Tremor: We provide treatment options ranging from medication to focused ultrasound and deep brain stimulation.
- Headaches and Migraines: Our expert neurologists specialize in the treatment of migraines and tension headaches, and work with patients to start a medication treatment plan to help manage migraine pain and prevent headaches before they start.
- Multiple Sclerosis: The MS Center at Hackensack University Medical Center is the only center in New Jersey that features experts in neuro-urology, neuro-ophthalmology, spinal cord medicine, rehabilitation, counseling and neuropsychology, cognitive rehabilitation and geriatrics — all under one roof.
- Parkinson’s Disease & Movement Disorders: Our multidisciplinary team delivers compassionate, personalized care and treatment plans to cater to each patient’s unique needs and help them become functionally independent. We provide a comprehensive team of neurologists and neurosurgeons and offer the latest technology for treatment of advanced stage Parkinson's and other movement disorders.
- Sleep Medicine: Our board-certified sleep medicine physicians and trained sleep technologists work with you from diagnosis and treatment to follow-up care and education.
- Spine Center: We offer a comprehensive and multi-disciplinary approach to back pain and spine management including teams of physiatrists, neurosurgeons, orthopedic surgeons, neurologists, and pain management specialists. We use a conservative management approach, ensuring that surgery is limited to specific indications.
- Stroke Rescue Center: Hackensack Meridian Health has three state-designated Comprehensive Stroke Centers and 10 primary stroke centers that work as a team to ensure the best care is offered to our New Jersey community. We have developed groundbreaking “Stroke Rescue” services that provide the most advanced, precise treatment options available anywhere in the region.
- Vascular and Endovascular Neurosurgery: We are a leader in cutting-edge treatment of intracranial vascular disorders, including brain aneurysms, arteriovenous malformations (AVMs) and stroke. We provide each patient with a comprehensive evaluation and treatment plan that takes a conservative care approach when appropriate.
Hackensack Meridian Health’s neurosurgical program is among the best in the country, according to annual rankings by U.S. News & World Report. Four of our hospitals – Hackensack University Medical Center, Jersey Shore University Medical Center, Ocean University Medical Center and Riverview Medical Center – are also among the top hospitals in New Jersey.
- Epilepsy Level 4 Comprehensive Center Accreditation: Jersey Shore University Medical Center (National Association of Epilepsy Centers). This is the highest accreditation possible for centers that perform complex epilepsy surgeries.
- Licensed Comprehensive Stroke Center: Our three academic medical centers have this designation from The Joint Commission. Less than 5% of hospitals in the nation meet rigorous national and state requirements.
- Multiple Sclerosis Care Accreditation: The Multiple Sclerosis Center at Hackensack University Medical Center (National Multiple Sclerosis Society)
- Healthgrades Neurosciences Excellence Award: Jersey Shore University Medical Center earned this award for excellence in 2020, 2021 and 2022.
- Healthgrades Cranial Neurosurgery Excellence Award: Jersey Shore University Medical Center and Hackensack University Medical Center have both earned this award
- America’s 100 Best Hospitals for Stroke Care Award by Healthgrades: Jersey Shore University Medical Center earned this award in 2020, 2021 and 2022
- Hackensack Meridian ALS Center at Jersey Shore University Medical Center has successfully achieved designation as a Certified Treatment Center of Excellence (CTCE) through The ALS Association, and is one of only two Centers in the state with this designation.
- Jersey Shore University Medical Center has the only ABRET Certified EEG Lab in the network, one of only five in the state.
We offer the most comprehensive array of neuroscience services in the region, including for stroke, spine injuries, concussion, epilepsy, brain tumors, movement disorders, memory disorders and more.
- Clinical Trials: Hackensack Meridian Health ranks among the top 10 in clinical trials for primary brain tumors in the country. In addition, Hackensack University Medical Center is one of several medical centers in the U.S. that is participating in the RESTORE-1 Phase 2 Clinical Study, a gene therapy trial for patients with Parkinson’s disease.
- Cortical Mapping: Our surgeons can determine the function of specific brain regions by providing electrical stimulation to certain parts of the brain.
- Deep Brain Stimulation (DBS): We specialize in using electrical stimulation to treat Parkinson’s disease, essential tremor, multiple sclerosis and other neurological conditions. DBS can be effective in treating movement problems such as tremors, stiffness, difficulty in walking, and slowed movement.
- High-Intensity Focused Ultrasound: Hackensack University Medical Center is the only medical center in New Jersey offering this non-invasive outpatient procedure that uses sound waves to treat essential tremor and tremor-dominant Parkinson’s disease that has not responded to medications.
- Image-Guided Radiation Therapy (IGRT): This system allows the physician to direct doses of radiation with greater accuracy, while avoiding healthy tissues and organs.
- Intracranial Vascular Disorders: We’re on the cutting edge in the care and treatment of brain aneurysms, arteriovenous malformations (AVMs) and stroke.
- Stereotactic and Robotic Radiosurgery: We have one of the largest robotic surgery programs in the New York metropolitan area and are an international leader in using this technology, which makes it possible to treat tumors considered inaccessible or inoperable by conventional surgery.
- Upper Airway Stimulation: We were the first health network in New Jersey to provide this cutting-edge therapy to treat obstructive sleep apnea.
- Virtual Reality Medical Visualization Platform: Our surgeons at JFK University Medical Center use this approach to prepare for surgery virtually. Wearing the headset while speaking with the doctor, a patient and family can also visualize and better comprehend a brain tumor and the corresponding treatment plan.
- Innovative treatment for malignant gliomas: JFK University Medical Center was the first certified location in the United States to offer the Novocure Optune device for the treatment of malignant gliomas.
There is no such thing as “one-size-fits-all” when it comes to your care and treatment. Our neurology and neurosurgery providers meet with you and your loved ones to understand your unique needs, priorities and obstacles and work closely with subspecialists from an array of disciplines to customize a care plan tailored to your physical and emotional needs — drawing from the latest breakthroughs in research, medical technology, techniques and treatments.
- Patient-Centered Care: We believe you and your family are vital members of the care team, which is why we are committed to working closely with you on your individual course of treatment. Our team is here for you with comprehensive care from prevention to diagnosis, treatment to rehabilitation.
- Spine Care: Our multidisciplinary teams provide exemplary and comprehensive medical care for a myriad of spine-related conditions. We educate and involve our patients in their treatments by communicating in clear, understandable language and get you involved in your own recovery.
- Specialized Intensive Care Unit: Our physicians, nurses and staff undergo specialized training for our neurosurgery patients.
- Pain Management: Our Neuroscience Institute has a team of physicians who specialize in the diagnosis and treatment of acute and chronic pain syndromes caused by spine-related conditions.
- Stroke Support Group: A Stroke can be life-altering and overwhelming. Jersey Shore University Medical Center’s Stroke Program invites stroke survivors and their families to join us in sharing stories, challenges and inspirations.
- Brain Tumor Support Group: Located in Monmouth and Ocean County, our confidential support groups provide important educational, emotional and spiritual support.