East Mountain School-Middle and High School
Compassionate Care Through Support and EducationEstablished in 1981, The East Mountain School (EMS) is a private, non-profit, special education school operated by Carrier Clinic, and approved by the New Jersey State Department of Education. East Mountain School offers programing for 7th through 12th-grade, special education students. Our program is designed to provide quality special education and intensive therapeutic services for adolescents challenged by behavioral or psychiatric disorders.
Why Choose East Mountain School?
At East Mountain School, our mission is to provide a safe, challenging and supporting educational community that is responsive to the individual needs of our students. Our students benefit from a therapeutic, structured environment which incorporates the academic, behavioral, and counseling components all geared to increase the academic skills and coping strategies of the students.
New School Year Information for Families
- The Road Forward Plan for the 2023-2024 School Year
- East Mountain School Calendar 23-24
- EMS Bell Schedule 23-24
- Lead Testing Analytical Report
- Lead Testing Case Narrative Report
- Lead Testing Parent Letter
- Lead Testing Results
- Asbestos Management Plan 23-24
- Hazing Harassment Intimidation & Bullying 23-24
- HIB Family Caregivers 23-24
- Annual Integrated Pest Management Notice 23-24
- Integrated Pest Management Policy 23-24
- Lunch Application Packet (English)
- Lunch Application Packet (Spanish)
- Process & Procedure for Outstanding Lunch Balance 23-24
- Regulation 8505 - School Wellness Policy
- EMS - Wellness Policy Assessment Tool
- USDA Nondiscrimination Statement (English)
- USDA Nondiscrimination Statement (Spanish)
School AccreditationDepartment of Education East Mountain School is approved by the New Jersey Department of Education National Association Member of the National Association of Private Schools for Exceptional Children (a national association of agencies that conduct research on special education issues) ASAH
Member of the Association of Schools and Agencies for the Handicapped (ASAH), an organization that acts as a liaison with educational and state governmental agencies and private schools for handicapped children Quality Education
Member of the Alliance of Private Special Education Schools of North Jersey
Ensuring safe drinking water for our studentsThe health and safety of all students and staff are the top priority for East Mountain School at Carrier Clinic. With national events bringing increased attention to the issue of water quality, and in compliance with Department of Education regulations, we tested all of our school’s drinking water and food preparation outlets for lead. Sample collection, including identifying water outlets to be tested, carefully followed the guidance given by the NJ Department of Environmental Protection. We received the results of those tests on April 29, 2022.
East Mountain School students learn in a co-educational environment which addresses any behavioral or academic challenges.
Policies and Procedures
It is the policy of East Mountain School at Carrier Clinic to help reinforce and maintain a safe and orderly environment; to prevent acts of harassment, intimidation, and bullying among students; and to establish reporting procedures and consequences for violations of our policies.