What is Integrative Medicine?Integrative health and medicine focuses on the health and well-being of the whole person — mind, body and spirit. It addresses the impact of lifestyle, environment, and genetics on an individual’s health and well-being, and understands that the provider/patient relationship is a vital component in the healing process.
Our Unique Care Model
We approach care and service from our Five Pillars of Health & Well-Being.
- Sleep: Quality and quantity of sleep is essential for the body and brain to heal, repair, and prepare for the next day. Sleeping disorders or not getting enough sleep can lead to many chronic illnesses such as heart disease and diabetes.
- Activity: Physical activity is fundamental to the circulatory and respiratory systems and produces bio-chemicals such as endorphins that promote positive emotions and brain functions.
- Purpose: A sense of purpose is that which gives meaning to one’s life. Having a reason to get up in the morning adds not only years to your life, but also life to your years.
- Nutrition: Food fuels our minds and bodies. Our integrative nutritionists will partner with you to develop a personalized plan to help you optimize your nutritional status and sustain you through life's challenges.
- Resilience: The ability to “bounce back” and adapt to adversity are the skills needed to respond to stress in order to thrive versus survive.
Integrative Health and Medicine Services
Our integrative health and medicine experts provide the following therapies. In addition to in-person, telemedicine services may also be available.
- Acupuncture / Acupressure - Acupuncture and acupressure support your body’s ability to heal and are recommended for people with short and long-term illnesses as well as people who are managing chronic pain.
- Biofeedback - During biofeedback, you're connected to painless electrical sensors that help you relax certain muscles, improve blood flow, slow and expand your breath and improve the way your body responds to stress.
- Guided Imagery – A technique that directs the imagination toward a peaceful state using the breath, images and words. Very effective in promoting relaxation and pain relief.
- Health Coaching - The role of a health coach is to partner with you to create and implement a plan for positive change towards optimal well-being. All of our Integrative Health Coaches are also Registered Nurses and have achieved National Board Certification in Health & Wellness Coaching.
- Health Psychology - A health psychologist will help you identify stressors and how these may impact your life as well as design an individualized treatment plan to learn stress-management techniques such as relaxation techniques, mindfulness and heart coherence.
- HeartMath™ - is a form of biofeedback based on heart rate variability. HeartMath™is a proven way to lower stress, increase personal resilience and energy levels, and improve mental focus.
- Non-Pharmacologic Pain Management - includes but is not limited to natural supplements, mind body interventions, nutritional interventions, lifestyle modifications, acupuncture, stress mitigation such as biofeedback, Reiki, and healing touch.
- Non-Pharmacologic Stress Management Strategies to Improve Sleep - includes but is not limited to natural supplements, mind body interventions, nutritional interventions, lifestyle modifications, acupuncture, stress mitigation such as biofeedback, Reiki, and healing touch.
- Nutrition - Food is the fuel by which our mind and body function. Proper nourishment drives optimal health and helps to keep you sustained through life’s challenges. Our integrative nutritionists will develop a personalized plan.
- Physician and Nurse Practitioner Consultation and Longitudinal Care - Our integrative experts will develop a personalized treatment plan just for you that incorporates both conventional and complementary services to help you achieve your health and wellness goals.
- Reiki/Healing Touch – Gentle and effective energy practices promoting healing as the practitioner uses light touch, or without touch, to bring balance and comfort, promote relaxation, ease pain and improve sleep. This helps strengthen the immune system and supports overall health and well-being.
Some of our hospitals, including Raritan Bay Medical Center and Old Bridge Medical Center provide integrative health therapies to patients while admitted to the hospital.
This approach combines the latest medical advances with complementary therapies. Many complementary therapies have been around for centuries, and there are numerous associated benefits, such as:
- Improved emotional state, which promotes health and healing
- Improved mood and outlook
- A calm mind and relaxed body which can lower blood pressure and enhance the immune system
- Pain management
- Smoking cessation
- Nausea relief, improved sleep and more energy
- Better quality of life
Inpatient services include:
- Integrative Nurse Consultation - provides patients with a comprehensive assessment of their health concerns and the Five Pillars of Health & Well-Being are reviewed and patients are guided in a customized treatment plan.
- Aromatherapist Consultation - Aromatherapy is the therapeutic use of essential oils from plants for the improvement of physical, emotional, and spiritual well-being and is offered as a complementary therapy for symptom management.
- Energy healing, including reiki and healing touch - Gentle and effective energy practices promoting healing as the practitioner uses light touch, or without touch, to bring balance and comfort, promote relaxation, ease pain and improve sleep. This helps strengthen the immune system and supports overall health and well-being.
- Movement therapy, including tai chi and qigong – A system of gentle exercises practiced slowly and evenly to improve overall fitness, balance, and agility, and increases energy flow. These exercises can be enjoyed by all, regardless of age or fitness level.
- Massage – Practitioners specialize in rejuvenating massage, Swedish massage, sports massage and other techniques which can relieve tension, restore function and alleviate pain.
- Guided imagery - Music and meditation CDs and CD players with disposable earphones are available by request at some inpatient facilities.
- Reflexology – A system of applying pressure and massage to various points on the hands and feet to relieve pain and stress while restoring the body’s natural balance and well-being.
- Breathwork - Breathwork is a general term to describe breathing exercises utilized to enhance self-awareness and improve mental, physical and spiritual well-being. Breathing techniques commonly used with our patients include: 4-7-8 breathing, square box breathing, diaphragmatic breathing, heart-focused breathing and the quick coherence technique.
Please note: Not all inpatient services are provided at all locations.
Why Choose Us For Integrative Health and Medicine?
Our team has extensive experience and additional training in the field of Integrative Medicine. We utilize evidence-based interventions that are effective and we partner with the patient to develop individualized care plans to help our patients reach their optimal health and wellbeing.
Our unique care model is based on combining the foundational components of health: Nutrition, Activity, Sleep, Purpose, Resilience (and social engagement) with evidence-based interventions (such as acupuncture and biofeedback) to empower and guide individuals on their health care journey.
HOPE Tower at Jersey Shore University Medical Center (all services)
19 Davis Avenue
Neptune, NJ 07753
Hours of Operation
Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday 8:30 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Friday 8:30 a.m. - 4 p.m.
Riverview Medical Center (all services except acupuncture)
Booker Cancer Center
1 Riverview Plaza
Red Bank, NJ 07701
Hours of Operation
Tuesdays 8:30 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Jackson Health Village (acupuncture and nutrition only)
27 South Cooks Bridge Road
Jackson, NJ 08527
Hours of Operation
Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday 8:30 a.m. - 5 p.m.
The Debra Simon Center for Integrative Medicine
Located at the Hackensack University Medical Center/NY Giants Fitness & Wellness Center
87 Route 17 North
Maywood, NJ 07601
“I was having severe panic attacks. I was really going through it mentally and physically, and I just couldn’t handle it,” says Alex. Using holistic techniques like reflexology, reiki and aromatherapy, the integrative health nurses were able to support Alex in managing her anxiety. “I am so thankful that I had this other therapeutic outlet there. It really got me through a very stressful time.”
Alex Heller, 29, East Brunswick, NJ
Finding Peace Through Integrative Health
When Alex Heller, 29, first started experiencing COVID-19 symptoms last winter, it wasn’t clear if the novel coronavirus or Crohn’s disease was at fault.
We have a diverse group of specialists, including health psychologists, integrative nutritionists, health coaches and acupuncturists to best care for you.
Attend an Integrative Medicine Event
Learn more about upcoming virtual and in-person Integrative Medicine events near you.
National Membership Organizations
Teaching Kitchen Collaborative: Hackensack Meridian Integrative Health & Medicine is a Member of the Teaching Kitchen Collaborative, whose mission is to advance personal and public health through culinary literacy and integrative lifestyle transformation.
Academic Consortium for Integrative Medicine & Health: Hackensack Meridian Integrative Health & Medicine was inducted as a Member of the Academic Consortium for Integrative Medicine & Health in 2017. The Consortium’s mission is to advance integrative medicine and health through academic institutions and health systems.