Men's InfertilityIf you are a man experiencing infertility, the urology team at Hackensack Meridian Health is here to significantly increase your chances of conceiving a child with your partner.
Urologists who specialize in male reproductive medicine and surgery offer a compassionate approach to infertility. We work with you every step of the way to diagnose the cause and recommend the best solution, always starting with the least invasive treatment possible.
Our success rate is noteworthy. While not all infertility can be explained or corrected, you can be assured that our urologists are among the most experienced in the region to help you and your partner realize your dream of having a child.
What Causes Infertility in Men?
Male infertility accounts for up to 50 percent of cases in which couples are unable to get pregnant within a year of having unprotected sex. Most male infertility is caused by low sperm count (oligospermia) or no sperm count (azoospermia). Our specialists provide expert treatment for conditions that may contribute to low or no sperm count, including:
- Sperm blockage due to an obstructed vas deferens.
- Lack of sperm production in the ejaculate, called nonobstructive azoospermia.
- Enlarged veins in the scrotum, called varicocele.
- Health problems such as diabetes, infections or hormone imbalances which affect sperm production.
How is Male Infertility Diagnosed?
Our urologist will conduct a thorough exam using the latest techniques to help determine the cause of your infertility.
- Semen Analysis: Assessing your sperm count and quality of your sperm.
- Health History and Exam: Identifying any underlying health issues contributing to infertility.
- Blood Tests: Checking for possible causes related to pituitary function, hormone level or genetic abnormality.
- Imaging: Ultrasound may be recommended to examine the structure of the scrotum and testes.
Treatments for Male Infertility
Once the cause of male infertility is identified, your urologist partners with you to develop a customized treatment plan. We may recommend medication or microsurgery. Our goal is to start with the least invasive approach possible that increases your chance of conceiving a child.
Male infertility may be caused by infection, hormone imbalances or challenges with sexual intercourse. Our urology specialists can prescribe medication including:
- Antibiotics, if an infection is present.
- Hormone Therapy, if hormone levels are too low or too high.
- Medication, to treat erectile dysfunction or premature ejaculation.
Hackensack Meridian Health offers urologists who are experts in complex microsurgery to treat infertility. Microsurgery uses specialized operating microscopes, precision instruments and robotic-assisted technology to perform intricate procedures. The male reproductive urologists at Hackensack Meridian Health are among the few specialists in the region who are trained to perform complex microsurgery, including:
- Vasectomy Reversal (Vasovasostomy): Reconnects the tubes cut during a vasectomy.
- Complex Microsurgical Reconstruction (Epididymovasostomy): An advanced vasectomy reversal procedure.
- Micro-TESE (Microdissection-Testicular Sperm Extraction and Retrieval): Retrieves sperm from the testes.
- MESA (Microsurgical Epididymal Sperm Aspiration): Retrieves sperm from the reproductive tract.
- Varicocelectomy: Treats enlarged veins in the scrotum.
"We understand the challenges men face when seeking fertility treatment. That’s why we’ve created a supportive environment and partner with you to find the cause and the best solution." -- David Shin, M.D., chief, Center for Sexual Health & Fertility, Department of Urology, Hackensack University Medical Center
Why Choose Hackensack Meridian Health for Urology Care
Hackensack University Medical Center has been ranked the #1 Urology Department in New Jersey for ten years in a row by U.S. News & World Report and is the only urology department in New Jersey that is nationally ranked.
Advancements in Care
As experts in the field of erectile dysfunction, we offer a full range of treatment options. We can even help men who have not succeeded with prescription medications, such as Cialis® and Viagra®.
We specialize in a range of urologic disciplines including urologic oncology, infertility, stone disease, sexual dysfunction, female urology and pediatric urology.