Preparing for Your Procedure
Our goal is to make patients and their loved ones feel at ease before, during and after their surgery. Every surgery or procedure is unique, and you should always consult your physician with specific questions about your care. Here you will find general information to give you a better understanding of what to expect.
- Notify your physician of any medical conditions, allergies and medications. If you take medications or herbal supplements, ask your physician or a facility nurse when to stop taking them.
- A staff member will tell you what time you are to stop eating and drinking prior to your surgery.
- Notify your physician if there is any change in your health such as a cold, fever, sore throat or skin rash.
- For women, if there is any possibility you are pregnant, please notify your physician or a facility nurse.
- Please call our business office at 551-309-1700 prior to your surgery if special financial arrangements are necessary.
- Arrive promptly at the scheduled time to allow adequate time for admission procedures.
- No food or drink after midnight, including mints, water, coffee and chewing gum.
- Avoid styling products, makeup, perfume and nail polish.
- Wear comfortable, loose-fitting clothing.
- Leave all valuables at home including watches, rings, jewelry and cash.
- You will be asked to remove contact lenses, dentures and any prosthesis. You may bring your glasses.
- Bring your picture ID, insurance cards, any paperwork from your physician (such as cardiology reports), a list of your medications and a form of payment if your insurance company requires a co-payment.
- Arrange for an adult to drive you home after surgery. You will not be allowed to drive yourself.
- It is normal to feel discomfort in the area of your surgical site and anesthesia may cause drowsiness, dizziness or nausea. The nursing staff will provide care to make you comfortable.
- We care about your recovery after surgery. A nurse will call you to check on your progress the following business day.
- Your physician will provide specific instructions for care while recovering at home. In the event of any difficulty, please contact your physician.
- Do not engage in strenuous activities, drink any alcoholic beverages, drive or make any critical decisions within 24 hours of returning home.
- In the event of medical need, a patient may require transfer and/or admission to a hospital.
Please bring a photo ID, such as a driver’s license or government-issued ID card, as well as your most current insurance or Medicare card. Upon receipt of your insurance information, Hackensack Musculoskeletal Surgery Center will verify your primary and secondary insurance carriers or government agency directly for surgery center services. Please be aware of your insurance plan’s policy on admission requirements, such as pre-authorization. You or your physician may have to adhere to certain requirements in order to ensure maximum reimbursement from your insurance carrier(s). Failure to obtain preauthorization, physician referral, or a second opinion may greatly reduce or eliminate your insurance benefits.
We bill your insurance carrier shortly after healthcare services are rendered. The surgery center will send you a bill for the portion owed by you. The amount we bill you is due upon receipt. If you are unable to make the payment in full, please call our business office at 551-309-1700. Please be aware that you may receive several individual bills from other providers besides Hackensack Musculoskeletal Surgery Center such as the surgeon, pathologist, and anesthesiologist. Hackensack Musculoskeletal Surgery Center only bills for surgery center services.
If you need financial arrangements, please feel free to call our financial counselor. Patients who do not have insurance coverage are required to pay their charges in advance. We accept cash, cashier’s checks, all major credit cards, and personal checks with a valid ID. We have finance options available. If you require special financial arrangements, please call 551-309-1700 prior to your surgery and ask to speak with our business office to discuss alternative methods of payment. Our patient account representatives are available 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, to discuss financial arrangements with you.