Parkinson's rehabilitation in New Jersey | Hackensack Meridian Health
Treatment Options for Parkinson’s Disease RehabilitationWe offer a full range of inpatient and outpatient services designed to help patients live well with Parkinson’s disease. Our services include:
- Education and encouragement: We keep patients up to date on the latest available treatments and provide encouragement to maintain or improve quality of life.
- Exercise physiology and fitness: Our specialists develop customized fitness plans for patients with Parkinson’s disease.
- Medication management: We work closely with neurologists to make sure medications are effective and each patient is taking medications properly.
- Nutritional counseling: Our registered dietitians provide information on healthy eating tailored to each patient’s condition, lifestyle, cultural needs and preferences.
- Orthotic and Wheelchair Clinics: Our clinics evaluate patients for equipment that may assist with mobility and independence.
- Physical, occupational, speech, swallowing and recreational therapy: Our skilled therapists help patients maintain the highest-possible level of functioning.
- Rehabilitation psychology: We assist patients with the emotional and mental health aspects of living with Parkinson’s disease.
- Supportive services and programs: Our supportive services and programs include:
- Affiliation with NJ Neuroscience Movement Disorder Neurologists: We work closely with movement disorder neurologists to help patients achieve their rehabilitation goals.
- LOUD Crowd® and SPEAK OUT!®: A speech therapy and voice training program that combines group and individual sessions for people with Parkinson’s disease.
- LSVT LOUD® and Loud for Life®: A speech therapy program for people with Parkinson’s disease delivered by LSVT Certified Clinicians.
- LSVT BIG®: A physical and occupational therapy program designed to improve quality of life for people with Parkinson’s disease.
- Rock Steady Boxing Program: A fitness program that uses non-contact boxing to improve quality of life for patients with Parkinson’s disease.
- ParkinSINGS: Studies show that singing can help maintain strength in the muscles involved in speech and voice in people with Parkinson’s disease. Additionally, scientists have found that singing may reduce anxiety and improve overall quality of life. Through a Parkinson’s Foundation community grant, Hackensack Meridian JFK Johnson Rehabilitation Institute provided the Parkinson’s community with a fun way to exercise voice, speech and swallowing muscles ― through singing! In August 2019, ParkinSINGS, a choir for people with Parkinson’s disease and Parkinson-Plus syndromes, was established. If you are interested in joining or have any questions, please call 732-321-7063 or email email@example.com for further information.
Inpatient Parkinson’s Wellness ProgramJFK Johnson Rehabilitation Institute offers a unique two-week inpatient rehabilitation program for people living with Parkinson’s Disease. The program, called the Parkinson’s Wellness Program, focuses on restoring and maintaining function. We work with you to develop and meet your individual goals, whether it be medication adjustment, decreasing falls, improving voice quality or improving activities of daily living. We work with you to increase your independence, offering a skilled medical team, caregiver support and personalized training. Initial assessment is completed by:
- Neurologists specializing in Movement Disorder at JFK University Medical Center’s Neuroscience Institute
- Physical Medicine & Rehabilitative Physicians at JFK Johnson Rehabilitation Institute
- Exercise Physiologists
- Occupational therapists
- Physical therapists
- Recreation therapists
- Rehabilitation nurses
- Rehabilitation psychologists
- Speech language pathologists
- Social workers
Upon completion of the program, you will be transitioned into outpatient services that may be recommended in order to continue living well with Parkinson’s Disease, such as:
- LSVT Big
- LSVT LOUD
- ParkinSINGS Choir
- Parkinsons Wellness Recovery (PWR!)
- Rock Steady Boxing
- Speak Out! and LOUD CROUD
Our goal is to help you achieve your goals, whatever that might be. From dancing with your spouse, to independence in the kitchen or being understood by your grandchildren, we are here to assist you in achieving what is most important in your life.
For more information about the inpatient Parkinson’s Wellness Program, please call 732-321-7070.
Why Choose Hackensack Meridian Health for Parkinson's Disease Rehabilitation
Our rehabilitation team includes board certified physical medicine and rehabilitation physicians, movement disorder neurologists, certified rehabilitation registered nurses (CRRN), therapists, case managers and social workers, allowing patients to access a full range of treatments and services to meet their needs. Our specialists are leaders in Parkinson’s disease rehabilitation and follow the latest, evidence-based guidelines.
We offer inpatient and outpatient Parkinson’s disease rehabilitation and additional supportive services, promoting seamless transitions between levels of care. Our team will recommend services and support that will provide the most quality-of-life benefits for each patient.
Our specialists are trained and certified to offer a variety of innovative supportive programs at select locations, including LOUD Crowd®, SPEAK OUT!®, LSVT LOUD®, Loud for Life® and LSVT BIG®.
“I’d be remiss if I didn’t thank Dr. Roger Rossi and the dedicated staff at the JFK Johnson Rehabilitation Institute for their incredible support.”
— Hugh McCourt, Edison, N.J.
Former Marine Fights Back Parkinson's
“One of the most widely studied and effective treatments [for Parkinson’s disease] is a regimen of vigorous exercise.”
— Roger Rossi, D.O., the director of the Parkinson’s Disease and Movement Disorders Program at JFK Johnson Rehabilitation Institute
Our rehabilitation specialists work closely with you, your family, and your other care providers to assist with your recovery.
Find a Location for Parkinson's Disease Rehabilitation
- Aftercare Rehabilitation
- Amputee Rehabilitation
- Balance, Dizziness & Vestibular Rehabilitation
- Brain Injury Rehabilitation
- Cancer Rehabilitation
- Cardiac Rehabilitation
- Cognitive Rehabilitation
- Concussion Rehabilitation
- Driver Rehabilitation Program
- Electrodiagnostic Medicine
- Hearing Loss and Audiology
- Neurological Rehabilitation Services
- Occupational Therapy
- Orthopedic Injury or Surgery Rehabilitation
- Parkinson's Disease Rehabilitation
- Pediatric Rehabilitation
- Pelvic Floor Rehabilitation
- Physical Therapy
- Post-COVID Rehabilitation
- Pulmonary Rehabilitation
- Spasticity Rehabilitation
- Speech Therapy
- Spinal Cord Rehabilitation
- Sports Injuries and Pain Rehabilitation
- Stroke Rehabilitation
- Vision Therapy
- Vocational Rehabilitation
- You and Me Autism Program