Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS)
Also known as Lou Gehrig’s Disease, ALS affects nerve cells in the brain and spinal cord, causing loss of muscle control.
Living with ALS requires comprehensive care from a variety of specialists. Hackensack Meridian Health brings together different specialists in one all-inclusive visit, helping to provide the best, most convenient health care experience for patients and families.
We have two ALS Centers located at Hackensack University Medical Center and Jersey Shore University Medical Center so you can access care close to home. Our Centers collaborate with the ALS Association (ALSA) and the Joan Dancy and PALS Foundation to provide the support, services and assistive devices needed to optimize independence in our patients’ daily lives. Additionally, the ALS Center at Jersey Shore University Medical Center is a certified treatment center by the ALS Association, one of only two centers in New Jersey.
There is no single test that can provide a definitive diagnosis of ALS. Our integrated interprofessional team of experts will conduct an assessment of your health history, symptoms and neurological condition.
Additional testing may be needed, including:
- Imaging tests. We may order a magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) study to check for neurological problems.
- Electromyography (EMG) and nerve conduction study (NCS). EMG and NCS measure the electrical activity of your nerves and muscles.
- Blood and urine tests. We may order blood or urine tests to rule out other health conditions that could be causing your symptoms.
Our highly specialized team members take pride in their expertise and commitment to state-of-the-art services including:
- Neurological evaluation focused on making and confirming the correct diagnosis
- Physical and occupational therapy
- Swallow and speech therapy and nutrition
- Nursing care
- Respiratory care
- Palliative Care
- Psychological well-being and health behavior
- Social services
Patients diagnosed with ALS and related conditions require comprehensive care from multiple specialists. Our specialists will work with you to develop an individualized treatment plan to meet your physical, cognitive and emotional needs as they evolve.
Our neurological experts are equipped to care for the most intricate cases; from our fellowship-trained and board-certified physicians who hold the highest level of training and accreditation possible in their specialty, to our highly skilled nurses, we provide you with the best treatment options possible.