A Personalized Approach To Spine Care
Hackensack Meridian Health offers one of the most comprehensive spine programs in the region. Our highly trained spine and back specialists listen carefully to your concerns and work as a team to identify the true cause of your back pain or neck pain.
We always begin with the most conservative approach possible and work with you to determine the most effective treatment plan, based on your needs, preferences and priorities — from medication and physical therapy to minimally invasive or complex surgical approaches.
Our goal is the same as yours — to restore your function and range of motion so you can get back to doing the things you enjoy.
Neurosurgical and Orthopedic Expertise
Our highly trained spine specialists work together as a team to diagnose and treat neck and back conditions of all types. We have many neurosurgeons and orthopedic surgeons who have advanced training to treat back pain. They will find the source of your pain and develop an individualized plan of care to take on the most complex spine cases.
Neurosurgeon or Orthopedic Surgeon: Which one is right for you?
Neurosurgeons and orthopedic surgeons specialize in spine surgery and are skilled at treating disc herniations, disc degenerations, spinal stenosis, spine fractures, scoliosis and other spine conditions.
Whether you choose a neurosurgeon or orthopedic surgeon, you will receive personalized, outstanding care and treatment from some of the top surgeons in New Jersey.
Spine Care & Treatment Options for Neck and Back Pain
We treat a full range of spine conditions, from the complex and difficult-to-diagnose to chronic conditions that haven’t responded to previous treatment. Our spine specialists will evaluate your condition, find the source of your pain and develop a comprehensive treatment plan. In many cases, our spine surgeons may first recommend a trial of nonsurgical treatment before considering surgery.
- Discography injects a special dye into your spinal disc before you receive an X-ray or computed tomography (CT) scan to help your physician identify disc problems.
- Hydrotherapy exercises that take place in water to build strength and relieve pain, such as water-walking and underwater arm raises.
- Epidural steroid injections into the spine to reduce pain and inflammation.
- Facet-joint injections of medicine and steroids into the small joints of the spine to locate and relieve pain.
- Lumbar plexus blocks to treat post-operative pain.
- Sacroiliac joint steroid injections in the lower back to reduce inflammation and swelling.
- Stellate ganglion blocks of the sympathetic nerves in the neck that go to the arms and face to reduce pain and swelling and improve mobility in the upper extremity.
- Trigger-point injections of anesthetic to help relax and provide lasting relief to muscle knots.
- Integrative medicine, such as massages and acupressure.
- Intradiscal therapies for damaged discs that cause pain by pressing on a nerve.
- Intrathecal pump implants of a pump under the skin to deliver concentrated amounts of medication into the spinal cord through a catheter.
- Percutaneous disc decompressions involve a needle that emits radio waves to decompress a disc and provide relief.
- Physical Therapy & Rehabilitation with advanced certified therapists.
- Radio frequency lumbar and cervical ablation directed at the nerves causing pain.
- Spinal cord stimulator implants near the spinal cord to treat chronic pain in the trunk and limbs.
- Anterior cervical discectomy with fusion (ACDF) to remove a damaged disc in the neck.
- Cervical disc replacement toreplace damaged disc
- Complex revision spine surgery to correct problems associated with previous surgery.
- Complex spinal reconstruction surgery to correct an abnormal curvature.
- Laminectomy surgery removes all or part of the vertebral bone to ease pressure on the spinal cord or nerve roots.
- Minimally invasive robotic-assisted spine surgery uses a 3-D simulation of the patient’s spine to plan each moment of the surgery.
- Neurostimulator placement and revision implants an electronic device beside the spinal cord to treat chronic pain in the trunk and limbs.
- Paralysis & reconstructive nerve surgery
- Sacroiliac fusions use implanted screws or rods, and sometimes a bone graft across the joint.
- Scoliosis and kyphosis correction mends the spine bones together via spinal fusion using metal rods and screws.
- Spinal fusion surgery to stabilize motion in a painful area between vertebrae, including anterior lumbar interbody fusion, posterior lumbar interbody fusion, lateral transpsoas interbody fusion, and transforaminal lumbar interbody fusion.
- Spinal vascular lesion surgery removes or disconnects a vascular abnormality
- Thoracic discectomy removes a herniated disc from the spinal column.
- Vertebral and spinal cord tumor surgery removes cancerous and non-cancerous tumors from the vertebrae and spinal cord
- Vertebroplasty and kyphoplasty to stabilize compression fractures in the spine
Why Choose Hackensack Meridian Health for Spine Care
Hackensack Meridian Health is a leader in diagnosing and treating spine disorders.
Our integrated teams of specialists offer depth of expertise in degenerative disease, trauma, tumors and deformity of the cervical, thoracic and lumbosacral spine and encompass a wide spectrum of disciplines, including orthopedics, neurosurgery, interventional pain management and physiatry to take on the most complex spine cases. Not only are they capable of taking on complex cases, they do so in volume.
Our spine experts also continuously build upon their expertise in treating back pain, neck pain and other conditions. Here are just some of the ways we continue to improve the care and treatments we provide.
Our spine surgery programs have earned Disease-Specific Care certification for demonstrating excellence in surgical spine care by The Joint Commission, which accredits hospitals internationally. Hackensack University Medical Center and Riverview Medical Center have obtained Spine Surgery Certification from The Joint Commission, and Ocean University Medical Center has earned five-star status for Back and Neck Surgery from Healthgrades.
We were the first in New Jersey to offer state-of-the-art robotic-assisted spine surgery using a 3D replica of the patient’s spine to provide unparalleled precision and accuracy.
Our board-certified surgeons and support staff were trained at some of the best programs in the country to specialize in the most advanced orthopedic and neurological surgeries and treatments available.
“Dr. Robert Heary saved my life. I can’t imagine what would have happened had I not chosen him to perform my spinal fusion surgery.” — Laura Messina, Bloomfield, N.J
Our spine and back specialists collaborate as a team with orthopedic surgeons, neurosurgeons, pain medicine physicians, physical medicine and rehabilitation specialists and radiologists to determine the most appropriate plan of care for you. We can also provide you with a second opinion and educate you about all available treatment options so you can decide what’s right for you.