Gynecologic Oncology Treatment Options
Comprehensive care and emotional support
Women of all ages are subject to a wide variety of cancers affecting the genital tract. Some cancers are related to age, genetic factors, or modifiable behavior. Some are amenable to screening, yet others remain elusive to early diagnosis. Some high-risk conditions require special work-up and management. Special issues such as sexuality and fertility require unique knowledge and care. Hackensack Meridian Health has long been on the forefront of the management of these conditions, and understands the unique challenges of women treated for cancer of the reproductive system.
Using state of the art technology, investigative tools, surgical techniques, and revolutionary medical management, our patients can be assured that they will always enjoy the best gynecologic cancer care.
Treating cancer with greater accuracy
Our experts take a multifaceted approach to treating GYN cancers in a holistic environment, which enables us to provide customized solutions for GYN cancers that will benefit each patient’s physical and emotional recovery. At Hackensack Meridian Health, we believe the best way to treat you comes through the partnership and collaboration of our highly skilled multidisciplinary team – and you.
Treatment options for gynecologic cancer include:
Chemotherapy works by stopping or slowing the growth of cancer cells, which grow and divide quickly.
Depending on your type of cancer and how advanced it is, chemotherapy can:
- Cure cancer – when chemotherapy destroys cancer cells and they will not grow back.
- Control cancer – when chemotherapy keeps cancer from spreading, slows its growth, or destroys cancer cells that have spread to other parts of your body.
- Ease symptoms – when chemotherapy shrinks tumors that are causing pain or discomfort.
Sometimes, chemotherapy is used as the only cancer treatment. But more often, chemotherapy is combined with surgery or radiation therapy.
When used alongside surgery or radiation therapy, chemotherapy can:
- Make a tumor smaller before surgery or radiation therapy
- Destroy cancer cells that may remain after surgery or radiation therapy
- Improve the effectiveness of radiation therapy and biological therapy
- Destroy cancer cells that reoccur or spread to other parts of your body (metastatic cancer)
Minimally Invasive and Same Day Surgery
More surgical procedures are utilizing minimally invasive technology, which reduces the size of the incision and results in less pain and scarring, faster recovery, and reduced incidence of post-surgical complication. Many of these surgeries are completed on a same-day basis so patients can return home less than 24 hours after surgery.
Robotically-assisted surgery is currently being done at select Hackensack Meridian Health locations. Our surgeons use the Da Vinci Surgical System, a sophisticated robotic platform which allows them the ability to use less invasive procedures to improve outcome and recovery time. This platform uses a magnified 3D high-definition vision system and special instruments that advance surgery beyond the limits of human hands. While the surgeon remains fully in control of the entire procedure while operating, the Da Vinci System translates into highly precise microscopic movements through tiny instruments that minimize further the risks associated with the procedure and dramatically improves recovery time and comfort.
Our radiation oncology team includes an ensemble of distinguished radiation oncologists who have trained at the most highly respected and well-known cancer centers in the world. Because of this, patients in New Jersey can feel confident that they will receive the best treatments available without the stress of traveling long distances to major metropolitan areas.
- Four-Dimensional Computed Tomography (4DCT)
- High Dose Radiation Therapy (HDR)
- State-of-the-art Linear Accelerators withIntensity Modulated Radiation Therapy (IMRT)
- Image Guided Radiation Therapy (IGRT)
- Unparalleled Experience with CyberKnife®