September 2, 2021
1 15-ounce can butter beans, drained and rinsed
1⁄2 cup red onion, finely chopped
1/3 cup carrot, grated and finely chopped
1⁄4 cup celery, finely chopped
1 egg, beaten
1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1⁄4 teaspoon each, salt and pepper
3⁄4 cup cooked brown rice, cooled
6–12 large butter lettuce leaves
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- In a medium bowl, coarsely mash drained beans with a fork or potato masher.
- Add the remainder of the ingredients through brown rice. Mix well.
- Shape into 6 1⁄2-inch-thick patties. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add patties to skillet and cook for 10–12 minutes or until heated through, turning patties once halfway through cooking.
- Place in lettuce leaf. Top with avocado, thinly sliced red onions, cilantro and tomatoes.
Makes 6 patties
Per patty: 145 calories, 6g protein, 18g carbohydrate (4g fiber), 6g fat (1g sat, 5g mono/poly fat), 230mg sodium
Next Steps & Resources:
- Learn about nutritional counseling at Hackensack Meridian Health
- 4 tips for healthy vegan kids
- Spinach and bean soup recipe
The material provided through HealthU is intended to be used as general information only and should not replace the advice of your physician. Always consult your physician for individual care.