Recipe: New England Clam Chowder
March 14, 2022
What could be better than warm soup on a cold day? In less than an hour, enjoy a fresh, home-made cup of clam chowder.
- 20-24 ounces cooked clams or 4 x 6.5 ounce canned clams
- 4 slices thick cut bacon, chopped ¼”
- 2 cups of thinly sliced leeks (~ 4 leeks,)
- 3 stalks celery, peeled, thinly sliced
- 2 carrots, peeled, chopped ¼”
- 2 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- 3 x 8-ounce bottles clam juice
- 14.5 ounces chicken stock
- 2 tsp worcestershire sauce
- 4 cups of yukon potatoes, peeled + diced
- ½ tsp crushed red peppers, to taste
- 4 tbsp butter (optional)
- juice from 1 lemon
- 4 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
Total Time: 50 minutes
Per Serving: 260 Calories, 11 g Fat, 38 g Carb, 15 g Protein
- Set a fine mesh colander over a bowl and drain clams into the mesh. Reserve clam juice.
- Heat a heavy bottomed soup pot over medium high heat and add the bacon. Cook, stirring occasionally, until crisped. Remove bacon and drain on a paper towel.
- Add leeks to the residual bacon fat and sauté until soft, about 5 mins. Add celery, carrots and thyme and continue cooking for another 3 minutes.
- Add clam juice, including the clam juice reserved from the canned clams, chicken stock and Worcestershire sauce. Bring to a boil and add the potatoes. Return to a boil and then reduce to medium low. Add the bacon and crushed red peppers to the pot and cook until the potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Stir in butter. Add clams, lemon juice and parsley, heat briefly. Do not overcook clams as they may become rubbery.
The material provided through HealthU is intended to be used as general information only and should not replace the advice of your physician. Always consult your physician for individual care.
4 Easy Ways to Lower Your Cholesterol
About one-third of Americans – 102 million people aged 20 or older – have higher-than-normal cholesterol levels. Almost 10 percent (35 million) have total cholesterol levels that are 240 mg/dL or higher, which puts them at greater risk of developing heart disease.
What A Dietician Says Are the Best Diets to Try in 2022
You may be thinking about changing your eating habits to lose weight, feel more energetic, lower your blood-pressure levels or achieve a healthier lifestyle.
Recipe: Whole Grain Jalapeño Cheddar Cornbread
Delicious on the side of some white bean and chicken chili, or as a standalone snack, this whole grain jalapeño cheddar cornbread will satisfy your craving for something sweet or savory at the same time.