RECIPE: Butter Bean Burgers
September 02, 2021
You'll flip for these butter bean burgers!
1 15-ounce can butter beans, drained and rinsed
1⁄2 cup red onion, finely chopped
1/3 cup carrot, grated and finely chopped
1⁄4 cup celery, finely chopped
1 egg, beaten
1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1⁄4 teaspoon each, salt and pepper
3⁄4 cup cooked brown rice, cooled
6–12 large butter lettuce leaves
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- In a medium bowl, coarsely mash drained beans with a fork or potato masher.
- Add the remainder of the ingredients through brown rice. Mix well.
- Shape into 6 1⁄2-inch-thick patties. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add patties to skillet and cook for 10–12 minutes or until heated through, turning patties once halfway through cooking.
- Place in lettuce leaf. Top with avocado, thinly sliced red onions, cilantro and tomatoes.
Makes 6 patties
Per patty: 145 calories, 6g protein, 18g carbohydrate (4g fiber), 6g fat (1g sat, 5g mono/poly fat), 230mg sodium
The material provided through HealthU is intended to be used as general information only and should not replace the advice of your physician. Always consult your physician for individual care.
Recipe: Whole Grain Jalapeño Cheddar Cornbread
Delicious on the side of some white bean and chicken chili, or as a standalone snack, this whole grain jalapeño cheddar cornbread will satisfy your craving for something sweet or savory at the same time.
Recipe: Shamrock Shake
It's that time of year where everything turns green to celebrate St. Patrick's Day! You don't need to give up eating healthy to get in on the fun - try out this healthy version of a Shamrock Shake to get you in the festive mood!