Recipe: Whole Grain Jalapeño Cheddar Cornbread
March 02, 2022
Delicious on the side of some white bean and chicken chili, or as a standalone snack, this whole grain jalapeño cheddar cornbread will satisfy your craving for something sweet or savory at the same time.
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1 cup white whole wheat flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp kosher salt
½ tsp ground cayenne pepper
¼ cup + 1 Tbsp finely chopped jalapeño peppers
¾ cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
¾ cup corn kernels, fresh or canned
1 cup whole milk
⅓ cup olive oil
¼ cup honey
Total Time: 30 minutes
Per serving: 287 calories, 16 g Fat, 30 g Carb, 9 g Protein
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF. Grease an 8-inch square baking pan.
- In a large bowl, stir together the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt, cayenne, ¼ cup jalapeños, cheese and corn.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg, milk, olive oil and honey until blended and no lumps remain.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared baking pan. Evenly sprinkle 1 Tbsp chopped jalapeños on the top of the batter. Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cornbread comes out clean, 20 to 23 minutes.
- Transfer the pan to a cooling rack and let cool for at least 15 minutes before serving.
The material provided through HealthU is intended to be used as general information only and should not replace the advice of your physician. Always consult your physician for individual care.
Recipe: Shamrock Shake
It's that time of year where everything turns green to celebrate St. Patrick's Day! You don't need to give up eating healthy to get in on the fun - try out this healthy version of a Shamrock Shake to get you in the festive mood!
Worst Foods to Eat for Your Health
If you haven’t thought about whether or not the foods that you consume are truly nourishing you, take time to examine your eating habits to ensure that you’re meeting your nutritional goals.
What A Dietician Says Are the Best Diets to Try in 2022
You may be thinking about changing your eating habits to lose weight, feel more energetic, lower your blood-pressure levels or achieve a healthier lifestyle.