Recipe: Caprese Salad
September 20, 2022
Caprese salad is a simple and elegant salad requiring no formal recipe. Make it by alternating slices of juicy ripe tomatoes and creamy fresh mozzarella, and top with fresh basil leaves and drizzle with olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
It is a classic Italian salad made even more perfect by ripe New Jersey tomatoes. Tomatoes are a great way to incorporate antioxidants into your diet, mainly the antioxidant lycopene. This nutrient is associated with many health benefits such as improved heart health and a lower risk of certain types of cancer.
- 3 ripe tomatoes, thickly sliced
- 16 ounces of fresh mozzarella, thickly sliced
- Small bunch of fresh basil leaves
- Balsamic vinegar, for drizzling
- Olive oil, for drizzling
- ½ teaspoon coarse salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- On a platter, top slices of mozzarella cheese with slices of tomato.
- Tuck the basil leaves in and around the tomato and cheese slices.
- Just prior to serving, drizzle with the balsamic vinegar and the olive oil.
- Finish by sprinkling with salt and pepper.
Next Steps & Resources:
- Recipe shared by the oncology dieticians at John Theurer Cancer Center
The material provided through HealthU is intended to be used as general information only and should not replace the advice of your physician. Always consult your physician for individual care.
Recipe: Summer Fruit Crisp
Summer fruits, like berries, peaches, cherries, nectarines, apricots, and watermelon, are bursting with antioxidants and phytochemicals (many of which have a protective effect against cancer), as well as vitamins, minerals and fiber.
Recipe: Whole Grain Jalapeño Cheddar Cornbread
Delicious on the side of some white bean and chicken chili, or as a standalone snack, this whole grain jalapeño cheddar cornbread will satisfy your craving for something sweet or savory at the same time.