The #1 hospital in New Jersey
Founded in 1888 with just 12 beds, Hackensack University Medical Center was Bergen County’s first hospital. Today, this nonprofit, teaching and research hospital has grown to become the largest provider of inpatient and outpatient services in New Jersey. In fact, we’re Bergen County’s hub of health care for the Northern New Jersey and New York metropolitan areas. Hackensack University Medical Center enjoys numerous clinical, research and academic affiliations with world-renowned partners. Our medical and dental staff represent the full spectrum of specialties and subspecialties and are international leaders in health care. Hackensack University Medical Center was listed as the number one hospital in New Jersey in U.S. News & World Report’s 2017-18 Best Hospital rankings – maintaining its place atop the NJ rankings since the rating system was introduced. It was also named one of the top four New York Metro Area hospitals. At Hackensack University Medical Center, we are proud to also serve as the “Hometown Hospital” of the New York Giants and the New York Red Bulls soccer team. The medical center remains committed to the community through fundraising and community events, such as its annual Life & Liberty event, health fairs and Healthy Heart events.
- Ranked #1 in New Jersey and #7 in the New York metro area by U.S. News & World Report’s 2021-2022 “Best Hospitals” Honor Roll.
- Rated as High Performing by U.S. News & World Report’s 2021-2022 “Best Hospitals” Honor Roll in 14 procedures and conditions including: New Jersey's only nationally-ranked Neurology & Neurosurgery and Urology programs; ranked nationally in Cardiology & Heart Surgery; New Jersey’s Best Urology and Neurology & Neurosurgery programs since 2013; with Cardiology & Heart Surgery, Gastroenterology & GI Surgery, Geriatrics and Orthopedics ranked among the top in New Jersey.
- Home to Hackensack Meridian John Theurer Cancer Center, a part of the Georgetown Lombardi Comprehensive Cancer Center, an NCI-designated Comprehensive Cancer Center. Hackensack Meridian John Theurer Cancer Center is recognized as the top hospital for cancer care in New Jersey by U.S. News & World Report’s 2021-22 "Best Hospitals" Honor Roll.
- Home to Joseph M. Sanzari Children’s Hospital recognized as being in the top 1% of children’s hospitals in the nation and #1 children’s hospital in New Jersey by U.S. News & World Report’s 2021-22 "Best Hospitals" Honor Roll
- Only hospital in New Jersey with the #1 adult and #1 children’s hospital rankings.
- One of only five major academic medical centers in the nation to receive Healthgrades America’s 50 Best Hospitals Award for five or more years in a row.
- Ranked among the top hospitals in the Newsweek’s 2021 World’s Best Hospitals list
- First and only hospital in New Jersey — and one of only a few in the country — to offernoninvasive MRI-guided focused ultrasound, called Exablate® Neuro platform, to treathand tremors, or involuntary and rhythmic shaking that affects people with certainneurological conditions.
“More than 130 years after we became Bergen County's first hospital, we are proud to have grown into becoming the best hospital in New Jersey. It’s an honor and privilege to care for our community. Ultimately, our goal is to enable every member of our community to get better and live healthier -– from preventive care and specialty care to state-of-the-art surgery, treatment and rehabilitation.” - Mark D. Sparta, FACHE
President, Executive Vice President, Population Health Clinical Operations
Hackensack Meridian Health
Mark D. Sparta, FACHE