Robotic Heart SurgeryHackensack Meridian Health provides a wide range of robotic-assisted surgery for heart conditions. This highly specialized surgery is performed by a cardiac surgeon who uses robotic technology, precision instruments and miniature cameras to access the heart and perform complex surgical procedures with greater precision.
Unlike traditional open-heart surgery, robotic heart surgery does not require a long incision or for the chest to be opened at the breastbone. Instead, the surgeon makes one or more small incisions to access the surgical site, which reduces risk for infection and post-operative pain. It ultimately provides the surgeon with precise motion control and excellent visuals of the surgical site.
Benefits of Robotic Heart Surgery
Because it is minimally invasive, robotic heart surgery results in a shorter hospital stay (one to three days instead of five to seven days following open-heart surgery) and a faster recovery (patients often return to normal activities within four weeks, instead of up to six months for those who undergo traditional surgery).
Other benefits include:
- Fewer complications
- Less blood loss
- Lower risk of infection
- Reduced pain
- Smaller scars
Why Choose Hackensack Meridian Health for Your Care
Hackensack University Medical Center is nationally ranked in the top 50 hospitals for Cardiology & Heart Surgery, and is the highest ranked hospital in the state of New Jersey, by U.S. News & World Report in 2022.
Jersey Shore University Medical Center, Hackensack University Medical Center and six additional hospitals in the network have ranked as High Performing by U.S. News & World Report in 2022 for heart failure.
The experienced teams at Hackensack University Medical Center and Jersey Shore University Medical Center performed more than 1,600 open heart surgery cases in 2020.
Bypass surgery is offered minimally invasively at Jersey Shore University Medical Center and Hackensack University Medical Center thanks to a rare procedure using robotics technology, which is available at just a handful of medical facilities nationally.
Types of Robotic Heart Surgery
- Atrial fibrillation repair: We are experts at performing surgical radiofrequency ablation on a beating heart without requiring the use of a heart-lung machine. Learn more.
- Coronary artery bypass grafting: The surgeon uses veins and arteries from other parts of the body to bypass the blocked part of a coronary artery and restore blood supply to the heart.
- Epicardial pacing implants: The surgeon inserts and attaches a pacemaker to your heart.
- Mitral valve repair: Valve repair is associated with improved survival and fewer long-term complications. We are recognized for our excellence in mitral valve reconstruction by the American Heart Association and the Mitral Foundation.
- Treatment of congenital heart conditions: We specialize in robotic-assisted artery bypass procedures to improve blood flow to the heart, correct atrial fibrillation or repair or replace faulty heart valves.
- Valve repair and replacement: We perform a variety of minimally invasive and open valve surgeries. Learn more.
- Ventricular assist device implants: We are experts in implanting these small mechanical pumps to help the heart pump blood to the rest of the body. Learn more.
Our Robotic Heart Surgeons
Our award-winning team of renowned robotic heart surgeons provide exceptional cardiac surgery treatment and personalized care to help you recover as quickly and safely as possible.