We Can Treat Cognitive Concerns After a Brain Injury or Neurological IllnessOur cognitive rehabilitation team can help patients who have experienced a brain injury or neurological illness improve thinking, memory, focus, decision-making, problem-solving and communication. Our program focuses on improving cognitive functioning, physical abilities, emotional adjustment and social functioning — helping patients to transition back to everyday life, including work, school or community activities.
When to Seek Cognitive RehabilitationWe care for patients recovering from these conditions:
- Anoxia, or loss of oxygen supply to the brain
- Brain tumors
- Traumatic brain injury/concussion
- Other neurological disorders, such as seizures, multiple sclerosis and cognitive difficulties associated with COVID-19 and chemotherapy
Treatment Options for Cognitive Rehabilitation
We offer a full range of outpatient services designed to help patients improve cognitive, physical, emotional and social functioning after a neurological injury or illness. Our services include:
- Case management: We coordinate services to achieve the best possible results.
- Cognitive educational therapy: We work with patients to help improve their ability to learn and and meet educational objectives.
- Counseling: We assist patients with the emotional and mental health aspects of recovering from a neurological illness or injury.
- Neuropsychology: Our neuropsychologist helps patients manage their symptoms after a brain injury and train patients in compensatory strategies for cognitive deficits.
- Physical and occupational therapy: Our skilled therapists help patients return to optimal functioning and independence.
- Speech therapy: We help patients improve communication, swallowing and speech skills after a stroke or other neurological illness or injury.
- Vocational therapy: Vocational therapy helps patients regain the skills they need to return to work.
Why Choose Hackensack Meridian Health for Cognitive Rehabilitation
Our cognitive rehabilitation team includes neuropsychologists, speech therapists, occupational therapists, physical therapists, vocational counselors, a case manager, a counselor and an educational specialist, allowing patients to access a full range of treatment options to meet their needs. Our team meets regularly to discuss each patient’s case and ensure they are meeting treatment goals.
We offer a supportive and increasingly challenging treatment environment that prepares patients for social, occupational and community re-entry. We work with family members, employers, school counselors, and others to help patients return to everyday activities.
Our specialists are leaders in cognitive rehabilitation and follow the latest, evidence-based guidelines for brain injury care. We offer a full program of highly integrated, specialized brain injury rehabilitation with a multidisciplinary team that shares common treatment goals and methods customized to each patient. We offer a holistic treatment approach that considers the broader needs of the entire person when planning and executing treatment.
Our cognitive rehabilitation team can help patients who have experienced a brain injury or neurological illness improve thinking, memory, focus, decision-making, problem-solving and communication.